04 - Juliette

Enjoy Cuties <33

Competition days are always rough. Especially since Steph decided to surprise me with the fact that I wasn't competing in a small competition, but state championship for Virginia. I was extremely nervous when we arrived to the arena that my leg wouldn't stop shaking.

The worst part is I don't have my favorite supporter in the stands cheering me one. I realize how attached I am to Ophelia, but she always finds a way to put a smile on my face.

When Ophelia got a little older to last longer in the loud stadiums—even though she still wears her earmuffs during large events—she always sat with my mom and would be cheering with a huge homemade poster with scribbles all around it in every glitter pen we owned and her personal touch; three green handprints.

Because my favorite color—to her—is green.

It actually is violet, but I never wanted to tell her the truth. I like that she believes I love green ever since she saw me perform in a green dress and always believed it was my lucky—and favorite—color.

I was listening to the call times as they were being announced, seeing when I needed to be on the sidelines before it was my turn. Usually, I was nervous, but my ego was a little higher when I realized the competition was full of people a little below intermediate. I, was higher than all of them, and had a lot of confidence. But some of them were amazing, like really good.

Even though my ego was high, I still had a slight doubt. It's normal, you have confidence but the little voice in the background is still yelling that you shouldn't get so cocky too quickly.

So I instead, filtered my thoughts with the texts my mom was sending—updating me on her and Ophelia's actives. First she texted me when she told me she took Philly to the mall, then asked if it was ok if she bought her those fake extension clips.

The ones that always had a little star or unicorn on it. I was strict with the toys and stuff people buy for her, just wanting to make sure it won't end up in the trash or somewhere scattered around the floor. But I already knew Ophelia liked doing cute designs with her hair, so I told my mom it was more than ok to get her the clips.

We continued to text, just asking how's Ophelia—because when I left this morning she was a little sad and didn't want me to go.

"Jules, your up next," my coach came over to me, patting me on the shoulder as I walked past her to the sidelines where I wait for the next girl to finish.

The girl that's skating right now seemed to be the only competition I had. She was amazing, like everyone else, but she had this special flair in everything she did. Her hands always moved with poise and grace, along with her legs that were always straight during the perfect times.

It was impressive some of the tricks she was doing, and I had to say that because I could appreciate a good skater when I see one.

Her song ended, a sonata by Mozart—one I actually have done in the past—and it was my turn. I waited for the clapping to end, and for them to finish all the announcements before my name was introduced.

"Representing the Richmond FSC, Juliette Abridge," the announcer presented, a stream of clapping, as I entered the rink.

The lights in the small arena got dark—preparing for my start. My short white dress, and snowflake stockings that stood still while my arms were in the air, crossed like two swans, back arched slightly.

The piano of the music began to start, slowly light voices played in the background of the sad French song I was skating too. It was one of my favorite, one I listened to every time I was pregnant with Ophelia, sad and confused—so I listened to a sad song in a confusing language.