19 - Juliette

Theo hasn't been here for a while. Every time I text him, or Ophelia goes over to his home to ask to draw, he says he has work or is busy. I didn't mind, knowing in the agreement we made that his work might have to be put first. But it is affect Ophelia. She hates having to stay at the rink with me for hours, especially when Theo isn't there to comfort her or draw with her.

When we get home, she dashed down the street to her friends house, before knocking on Theos door next—her friend Cameron holding her hand as they knocked on his door together. Sometimes he'd answer, especially when he is home, and other times he isn't home so can't open the door, and it seems he is never home lately.

But this morning, I woke to a text message from him. Actually three.

Theo (Phillys Nanny): Hey I am available to watch Ophelia all day tomorrow.
Sent: 2:34 AM

Then another one exactly two minutes after that.

Theo (Phillys Nanny): I am sorry about yesterday.

And one more about ten minutes after that.

Theo (Phillys Nanny): Good night. Hope I didn't wake you up.

My heart clenched a little reading the messages. The time. Imagining the way he was laying in bed writing the words against his small phone, he refuses to update. It had been over a week of on an off, of him leaving by the time I got home, missing most of my calls and texts.

I didn't care what he did to me, even if it hurt so much, but as long as he wasn't hurting Ophelia in the process. I had enough time to think after the kiss, and realized it was stupid. It was stupid to agree to the statement he made that morning. Everything about it was stupid. And I was roping my daughter along with me—like an idiot.

My mother came over the other night to stay for the weekend. Annabel, and Monique both stayed the night two days ago to help me. Monique obviously told me to leave him, ignore his calls and just slowly stop having Ophelia go over. Annabel was telling me that we could have some romcom love story—which made me laugh and feel better.

Monique told me she'd be visiting again sometime today, so that has brought my mood up slightly. "Baby," my mom says as she walks into my room. I had missed practice yesterday, which caused Steph a heart attack plus an aneurism; according to the lengthy voicemail I received.

"Yes mom?" I reply, adjusting to the brightness of my room. It felt wrong to cry over him. The last time I cried over a guy was when Isaiah left me with a new born baby in the hospital four years ago. But I dated Isaiah for years, I had his child. And I cried over him for nights and days.

Theo. I barely knew him. But I fell for him so fast, and when I thought he was going to catch me, he let go of me while in his arms—or so that's how it feels.

She sat on my bed, feeling the dip by my feet. "He is here." She didn't even say his name. Just he. "Ophelia is ready to go with him. I know you said you don't want her to stay away from him, but are you sure?"

No. I wasn't sure.

But I couldn't tell her that. I couldn't rip Ophelia from the only father figure she has had in her life for the past month. I can't take away her friend. "Yeah just make sure he texts me to keep updating me." My mom nods, closing my door.

You can't be crying over a guy you've know for over a month. Maybe I'm just not used to heart breaks, and when I like someone—I fall deep and quick.