09 - Theo

"Let's go Philly," Juliette says, walking out of Ophelia's bedroom. She had on a white sweater and flared jeans. When she spotted me, she slightly paused—probably also trying to get used to the idea of me staying for the day. When I went over to my house, they made another excuse as to why I couldn't go back.

My appointment also got canceled—guy chickened out which I am very used to. I'm not an religious man nor someone who believes in the universe, but something wants me to live in eternal pits of hell—having to stay at this gorgeous woman's house.

"Ophelia is in a phase where she refuses to put jackets on, throwing a tantrum all the time. I'm letting her cool down before I make my next attempt," she laughs, and that smile. Fuck that smile is intoxicating. I want to drink it up like it is the most luxurious wine a man could get his hands on.

"I was like that," I joke. "My mother said that I would never want to wear pants as a kid." Now I'm slightly cringing at the fact that I just told this girl who I barely know an embarrassing fact about my childhood.

"You need to show me photos of that," she laughs, making me feel less embarrassed.

Well it's not that I don't really know her. Ever since breakfast, I spent all morning talking to her and learning everything I can about her. I know the basic things, her favorite color is mint green, has a birthmark on her shoulder that she always hides, favorite movie is The Godfather—part two specifically because she thinks it's the best series whose sequel is better than the first movie. She has been skating since she was six—begging her parents to let her skate after she got an ice skating Barbie for Christmas.

Then we got into the conversation about ex's and past relationships. I gave her brief details about mine—because truthfully, I've only had one significant relationship that I don't like to talk about. She told me about Ophelia's father. How they were friends since childhood, but when she turned seventeen they started dating. She moved to the same college as him, but he transferred when Juliette announced the pregnancy.

I'm not going to lie and say I didn't want to smash the plate that I was drying in my hands when she told me about the asshole of a man and father he was. A part of me wanted to find out who this man was and see him face-to-face, just to look into the eyes of the dumbass who would leave such a amazing—and slightly weird—child.

I brought up the military as well—which prompted the conversation as to why I didn't continue the family legacy. One thing I realized about her is that she speaks in movie references. She told me my family was like Lieutenant Dan from Forrest Gump. Which made me ask her if she actually finished the movie, and how I did not want to lose my legs. She found it funny, but also was very invested in hearing about the crazy stories I had from growing up on base.

"You are more than allowed to come with me," Juliette tells me, walking over to where I was sitting. "I don't want you just wondering around in the cold, and Ophelia is very attached to you, so it would be very mean to take her away from her new friend." She had to go to work, and I offered to just wander around the city until she got back.

I laugh, Ophelia has been very obsessed with me since I let her watch The Green Mile—with as few complaints and comments as possible. "I guess it would be very rude to do that. Sure, I will go." She smiles wide when I accept the offer. But then her whole mood shifts. It's almost funny to watch her become worried.

"Oh—" she stumbles a little. "Perfect. . . o..ok you n..need a jacket and...and a sweater maybe." She is running around as if I was another child she needed to take care of. I don't think she was expecting me to say yes, given the way her eyes widened once the impact of the words hit her.

Is. . .is she nervous around me?

"Juliette," I rasp, grabbing her arm as she began to run around. "I am a big boy who can get my own jacket." Her cheeks immediately flame, and I can't help the satisfaction it gives me.