Jane M. Maximoff

Cat continued to help May, for three weeks that was her job, then she would have dinner with Parker every night —every two nights at May's place, if they were lucky, if not, it was mostly just salt crackers and orange juice in his dimly lit living room.

Parker was doing his best to rebuild the beeper with scraps he already had, but they didn't have anything to make a connection between worlds, they didn't know what had caused it in the first place, and their prospects weren't looking all that well.

Pulling apart and tinkering with E.D.I.T.H. would not do either, her Peter had built the beeper out of the trash and it worked with radio frequencies, the Stark satellites had to exist in order for E.D.I.T.H. to function. In other words, it was like trying to make a laptop work using the insides of a toaster.

Parker was starting to pick her up later than usual, and he didn't want to tell her what was keeping him from getting there on time. May said he would have these moments throughout the year in which he seemed to be occupied with some top-secret project. Cat guessed he was handling some spider-man business he didn't want her to take part in.

"Cat! Cat!"

The mutant jumped and looked at the older woman over the boxes she was carrying. "Yes?"

"Told you not to take them all at once!" May reprimanded her. "You'll hurt yourself!"

For Cat, the boxes were no heavier than empty egg carriers, but she couldn't say that to the woman. She let her take the one on top of the pile, then continued walking. "Don't misjudge my strength, May, I could carry more if I wanted to," she said playfully. "Honestly, I'm incredibly strong."

"You're just like Peter," the woman laughed. "I see why you get along."

Cat walked alongside her. "Tell me more about him as a kid, please..."

"Haven't you grown tired of this old woman rambling about her boy?"

"Not at all," she admitted with a genuine smile. "I had this friend back in, er, where I went to high school. His mom would show me all of his baby pictures whenever I visited, it drove him mad, but I liked it. She cared for him, and that was nice to see. Real love is such a rare find..."

May stared at her weirdly. "That sounded like something my husband would say. I think Ben would've liked you."

"I've heard that before," Cat grinned. "I'm sure I would've liked him as well."

"You would've been great company for Peter when he was a kid."

"Oh, I'm not sure," she laughed. "I once got in trouble for fighting an older student, she called me a freak, and all I had asked for at first was a proper apology, but she kept going... anyway, we would've ended up detesting each other, your nephew and I."

May smiled at her. "I disagree."

______________

Parker was overly fidgety that night. He walked the street skipping, cracking jokes, and holding her hand to get her to walk faster, he seemed in a hurry.

"...so I finish my presentation, right? I'm ready to get out and sleep in the library for the next hour, 'cause I was exhausted..."

"Uh-huh," Cat replied, smiling at his antics.

"Then this jerk— and you know who I'm talking about—"

"Kyle?"

"Kyle!" He laughed. "Freaking Kyle gets up like he's part of the British parliament, and he walks past me to do his presentation and pats my shoulder like he's my dad or something, and tells me 'Well done, Parker, you're finally getting the hang of it!'."