The Last Phase.

Cat got up, her entire body felt like she'd been carrying thousands of rocks on her back, it was stiff and cold. "Did it work?" She coughed.

"Looks like it..." Peter was studying their surroundings, but he made no attempt to get up and investigate properly.

"Did Edith come along? We need her!"

"She could've fallen somewhere around us... but I can't see..."

That's when Cat realized it was pitch-black, the only reason why she was able to see him was thanks to her mutated eyesight. "EDITH!" She yelled out.

A light ignited several feet ahead of Peter, the A.I.'s voice was like music to her ears.

"Hello, C.C."

"Holy shit!" Peter jumped when he saw Cat's eyes in the dim light, the greenish reflection coming from them was unnerving. "You've always been able to do that?"

"Do what?"

"The Gollum eyes," he said with a weird voice.

She was amused by his comment, but also a little insulted. "You never noticed 'cause I wear goggles at night, precisely so I can protect them from bright stuff," then she added in a quiet voice, "Peter thought it was cool, not ugly."

"I never said it was ugly," he was quick to correct. "It caught me off guard, that's all. But it's lucky, I didn't bring a flashlight or my phone, and we need to see where we're walking to get out."

"Grab Edith," she requested in a cold voice. "I'll get us out."

The mention of his seemingly perfect variant made Parker desperate to get back to her good graces, but he was only making things worse. "You can teleport, though..."

"I know," she struggled to ignore her increasing heartbeat. She couldn't wait to see her friends again. "Get up, let's hope Mouse is in good hands..."

***

E.D.I.T.H. was able to track M.O.U.S.E. and Cat was delighted to find out he was in the city. The place where he was, though, she didn't identify it.

"Maybe it's Kate's apartment?" Parker suggested.

"She said she'd move out," her eyes darkened. Maybe Kate had decided to stay in case she came back, Cat didn't want that. "We should be careful."

***

Breaking into the apartment was easier than they thought it'd be. The window had been left unlocked. Parker walked into the building like a normal person, she'd forbid him from using his powers in this universe.

"So... is this Kate's apartment?"

"No," she couldn't hide the smile that formed on her face. "This place screams Peter Parker."

The young man looked around hesitantly. "It does..?"

"Oh, you wouldn't know," she brushed it aside. "It's like trying to hear your own voice. But look," she pointed at the picture on the nightstand. "That's us."

Parker grabbed the photograph and stared at it with a strange look in his eyes.

"My first birthday party," she told him. "That's my old dream team."

"Yeah, I remember them," he looked at her.

Cat beamed, it was nice being able to remember her youth. "Look at how young we look! Man, that was a good night. I had my first kiss at that party."

Parker was saved from having to hear how happy she'd been with his variant when the front door opened. Peter walked into the apartment with his head down, he was fixing his camera, swearing under his breath. He closed the door with a kick, and Cat shifted her weight from one foot to the other. She hadn't made any noise, but the young hero froze at the movement.