Friends Reunion Pt.II

She woke up before Matt the next morning, almost hesitant to let him know she was leaving.

Cat had no self-control when it came to this sort of stuff. It wasn't that she didn't like him anymore, but sleeping with one of her exes wasn't what others would call improvement. Then she thought that even though she'd been the one who had fallen first, it had been him reaching down to kiss her after claiming he only wanted to be friends. That made her laugh.

Matt stirred on the bed at the sound, he sat up and spoke to her groggily. "You're leaving?"

"Yeah,"  she was packing as fast as she could. "I'll get off your back for a while. Permanently, if this works."

"And you were leaving without saying goodbye," he pushed the sheets away and got up to get dressed. "I feel used."

"I thought you liked that?" She teased him.

"Only when I consent."

"You looked quite willing last night..." Cat looked at him, hair tousled and no shirt on. She wanted to make sure they were on the same page, but talking about it felt like it meant something, and she didn't want that. "I'll call you." 

"Okay."

"Take care."

"Why do I feel like a one-night stand?" He laughed.

Why was she so awkward now? Matt wasn't smitten, he was himself. Was it her? Was she the one fighting against unwanted feelings? Did she even want to know what she was feeling at all?

Cat walked up to him and reached for his face, the mutant gazed at his features carefully. Matt let her stare. One of his hands softly caressed the crook of her elbow, he had a tender expression on his face, glad to have a reason to touch her. 

As if her feelings weren't confusing enough, she blurted out a request. "Can I get a kiss for good luck?"

Matthew's eyes wrinkled cutely as he grinned. "You can have two."

***

She'd barely stepped off New Asgard's landing platform when a familiar voice spoke from her left. 

"You had to make an entrance..."

Cat froze and looked at Nightcrawler with eager eyes, she clasped her hands together, and the urge to apologize came to her, but something different came out of her mouth. "Are you really going to punch me?"

"I'm dying to," he moved away from the pillar and approached her. Cat closed her eyes, the air got taken out of her lungs by the strongest bear hug of her life. "I'll do it later."

Cat wrapped her arms around him and took a shaky breath. They were together, nothing else mattered. "I'm sorry."

"It doesn't mean you won't do it again."

She moved to look at him. Kurt had a scar above his brow and another one on the bridge of his nose. "I'm done lying."

Kurt's eyes found the scars around her throat, his voice came full of hurt. "I wish I could believe you."

Cat understood. She'd done many awful things in the past, abandoning him wasn't even the worse of it. When it came to her safety, she would have to show him with actions that she really meant to look after herself now.

"Are you hungry?" She cupped his face, eyes lingering on the fur around his throat, still scorched but healing. "We have a long journey ahead of us, and you have to tell me all about your visit to the Guardians."

"My visit to the Guardians... reminds me," he pulled something out of the leather bag he was carrying. "Rocket sent this... with a message." It was a blaster, not as big as her last, but she could tell her friend had made it. Cat held it in awe. "He says that if you die and he's not here to see you go, he'll take make a necklace with your claws and he'll send it to Quill as a present saying they're shark teeth."