Copycat Gets A Call.

"He has a what?"

"A son," Matt ate a chunk of his burger, "quite big..."

"Wait, but is he Bruce's or Hulk's?"

"Is there a difference?"

"Yeah!" The mutant leaned closer. "Is he human or is he a mutant?"

"I'd argue that he's something else," he shrugged.

"Holy shit..." Cat whistled lowly. "I pity the person that gave birth to a Hulk... hey, did you sleep with Jen in Hulk mode?"

"I'm not answering that."

"I'm just curious!" She laughed. "Were you able to walk afterward? What about the bruises—"

"She was human the whole night," Matt was grinning in spite of himself. "It was a regular hook-up."

"Yeah, sure," she teased him. "So are you guys a thing now?"

"Eh, we... we..." he stuttered. "It's nothing serious."

"It never is," she replied knowingly. "That doesn't mean you don't like her."

Matt shook his head. "I won't talk about this with you."

"Why not?"

"'Cause you're my ex!" He laughed in disbelief.

"Like that was ever a problem," she scoffed. "C'mon, I promise I won't get jealous!"

"Okay, you tell me about Spider-man."

"What?"

"Is he a good hook-up?"

"Well, it depends," she smirked. "Which one are we talking about?"

Matthew snorted. "You're unsalvageable."

Cat sighed. "Maybe I am."

The man fixed his posture, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "That was a bad joke, I'm sorry."

"No, no! I'm just being dumb," she looked away in embarrassment. "It wasn't that awful I just—I'm a little stuck in my ways, it's true. Wanda gave me back some important memories and suddenly I understand why I do the things I do, but I can't stop myself."

Matt nodded, now it was his turn to sigh. "Yeah, I've been there... I still am."

Cat stared at him. "I don't wanna be like this forever."

"I believe you." His hand found hers easily.

Her eyes looked for his out of habit, even though he wasn't going to meet her gaze. "You can hear my heartbeat, right? That's why you're so willing to believe me."

"I don't know what memories Wanda helped you recover, but it was the right call. You needed that part of yourself back."

Cat stared at their hands. "You know I don't regret you even if it ended badly. None of it."

"I know that too," his thumb rubbed the back of her hand, it was a mechanical action, and she doubted he was even aware of it. "To be honest, as far as breakups go, that wasn't so bad."

Cat was too vulnerable around Matthew, he knew things she'd never been brave enough to share with others. She wished he could've at least had the decency to pretend he accepted her apology against his will like Harley always did. She couldn't stand being treated kindly. Cat didn't think she deserved it.

She was a murderous mutant who'd finished most gangs in Hell's Kitchen, the kid that'd escaped a lab in nothing but a hospital robe and hissed at loud noises— but she was also the girl who'd fallen in love with the nerd in her physics class, and liked wearing sundresses in the spring.