Trust

"Can't you guys trust me?"

"Noup!"

"Last time we trusted you, you tried to blow yourself up along with Russo and his limousine," Kate replied, her end of the call was noisy as hell.

"You're talking out loud about your super secret plan in the middle of an L.A. street?" Cat asked in annoyance. "And you don't trust me?"

"If the street's busy, the fewer the chances of the wrong person hearing me. That's just how it works."

"It's true," Harley said from his end of the call.

"Okay, geniuses, if you're so smart then I'm guessing you know where Kraven is already?"

"His pretty mansion," Harley replied. "That he paid with hard and honest work."

"Is it the one he bought from Dmitri?"

"Nah, that one got busted by Nat's squad. This one's bigger, and it's in the country," a crunch let her know Harley was currently eating. "Same state as us."

Cat tensed. "What?"

"Westchester County."

"That's north," she looked out her window "He could get to me in less than a day."

"Yeah, but something tells me he's waiting for you."

"Harley has a theory," Kate sighed.

"I would love to hear it," Cat said sarcastically.

"Good! Because you're going to," he replied. "Two words: Behavioural mimicking."

"Three words! What-about-it?"

"Kraven knows your weakness is the core of your powers. You mimic too well. When he put that collar on you this last time, he wasn't hoping the switch inside your brain would go feral, he just wanted you to be weak and vulnerable. Why was that, Stray?"

"The weaker my body, so is my mind," she replied, understanding his point right away. "Harder to control my behavioral mimicking if I can't heal right or think straight."

"It explains why our first plan backfired on you," Kate said. "He knew that you would chase after them even if it killed you because you'd started to mimic his methods. He would've killed you hadn't been for that other Spider-man."

"He knows your fighting techniques by heart," Harley sighed. "Now, don't get mad at me... but a dormant part of your brain has Kraven rooted into it, and the moment you get close to him, it awakens as a survival instinct. He'll know how to take you down because he knows himself better than you do."

"But I'm stronger!"

"That doesn't mean anything. Brains are better than muscle, you taught me that, remember?" Kate said. "You have triggers, Cat, and he knows all of them. He pulls the right one..."

"And you're dead," Harley said.

"So what am I supposed to do? Should I just stand there while he tries to kill me?" Cat paused, then she sat back on her bed and stared at the wall in realization. "Am I your bait?"

There was a split second of silence. Kate blurted out her response. "Well, it's what you always wanted!"

"Kate!"

"She deserves to know! And honestly, it's better if she knows, otherwise, she'll get mad while it's happening, and her mind could slip easier."

"That is not the point, Cat's a controlling —"

"Guys," Cat spoke out. "It's a good idea. I'll do it."

After another second of silence, then it was Harley's time to break it. "You mean it?"