Chapter 24

"How many people walk around with dragon eggs in their pocket?" - Harry Potter

-------------------------------------------------------

We snuck out to see Hagrid. Luckily, by some miracle, the cloak managed to cover all of us. We knocked loudly on his door. He opened it a crack a glanced around, confused. We threw off the cloak. His eyes landed on us and he frantically tried to close the door. "So sorry, but I'm in no mood to entertain tonight."

"We know about the philosopher's stone!" The door opened again.

"Oh." He ushered us in and closed the door. He glanced around nervously.

"What's wrong, Hagrid?"

Hagrid silently put on a pair of oven mitts and retrieved something from the fire, dropping it on the table. We all gathered around it. It was oval-shaped and brown. It was about the size of a small bucket. Ron gasped. "Is that...?"

"It's a dragon's egg." Hagrid said proudly.

"How did you get one?" I asked in awe.

"I won it playing cards with some stranger in the pub!" The egg cracked. "Oh! It's hatching!" We watched amazed as the head poked out. The body followed and finally the legs. The tiny dragon stretched it's wings.

"I know what that is! It's a Norwegian Ridgeback! They're very rare! My brother Charlie works with them!"

"Oh isn't he cute?" Hagrid cooed. "I'm gonna name you Norbert! Hello Norbert!"

"He's lost his marbles." Ron snorts. Suddenly "Norbert" coughs out a puff of fire setting Hagrid's beard on fire. We gasp in alarm as he pats the fire out.

Suddenly, Hagrid narrows his eyes. "Who's that?" We follow his gaze. I see a pale white face and a headful of blonde hair racing towards the castle.

"Malfoy." Harry states. I gasp. We quickly bid Hagrid goodbye and ran off. Hoping to make it in without being seen, we decided to use the other entrance.

"Has Hagrid lost his mind? Keeping a dragon in his hut!"

"But his story is really weird," I insisted. "Who keeps dragon eggs in their pocket?"

"And now Malfoy knows."

Hermione frowned. "I don't understand, is that bad?"

Ron gulped. "Oh it's bad." We followed his gaze to see Professor McGonagall being led by none other than Draco Malfoy. We were in so much trouble.

~~~~

"Nothing, I repeat, nothing, excuses a student to wander around past hours." Our shoes had suddenly become very interesting to look at. I lifted my chin slightly to see Draco Malfoy smirking out of the corner of my eyes. "50 points will be taken."

"50?!" Ron gasped.

"50 each. And the five of you will have detention." We gaped at each other in disbelief.

"Excuse me Professor, I believe I misheard. I thought I heard you say; the five of us?"

"No you heard me correctly, Mr. Malfoy." He stared at her. "You see, as good at your intentions were, you too, were out past hours. You will be joining your classmates in detention." I heard Harry muffle a laugh.

We turned to leave. "You go ahead." I whispered. "I need to tell her something." I turned back to Professor McGonagall.

"Miss Potter?" She raised an eyebrow at me.

"P-please don't tell Professor Snape." She looked at me with pity.

"He's your guardian, I cannot-"

"Please Professor, it won't happen again. Just don't tell him."

"Very well." She nodded reluctantly. "But if he finds out, I cannot help you.

I shot her a grateful smile. "Thank you, Professor."

She nodded. "Off to bed."
-------------------------------------------------------
Hey, sorry this chapter took forever. My exams just ended and summerschool has started. Hope you like it!

I really appreciate any votes and comments😊.

Lots of love,
-Lily