Chapter 30

"We must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy." - Albus Dumbledore

-------------------------------------------------------

Father stood in the doorway and gestured for me to enter. I walked in nervously and sat down in the brown beanbag chair I had insisted he buy for me. I sank into about where my knees were at my chest. Father closed the door, and kicked the chair over to the front of his desk - with me still in it. "Hey!" I exclaimed. Father merely sat down across from me. I waited silently to hear what he had summoned me down here for.

"Congratulations." He finally said. I looked up in utter surprise.

"Shouldn't you be grounding me because your house lost?!" Father raised an eyebrow and looked amused.

"Is that what you want?"

"No!" I yelled. I heard a dry chuckle. My eyes widened.

"Those were well deserved points." He paused. "I know I don't say this often, but I am immensely proud of you. I spoke to Dumbledore. You thought there'd be a possibility that I could've been waiting down there in the dungeon-yet you went ahead." I looked down.

"I didn't really-" Father held a hand up to stop me.

"I overheard your friends several times. Your believing in me really moved me, because I'd never done all that much to earn your trust. But in the end, when you had to make a decision, you were willing to go face anything, because you knew you were doing the right thing," He paused again, "the noble thing." I felt a tear drop. "I know how much you faced as a child and I didn't want you to suffer so much anymore. I wanted your first year to be normal. I should've protected you more. I'm sorry."

I let out a sob. I heard father stand up, and walk over to my side. When he attempted to give me an awkward hug, I merely sank deeper into the chair. He let out an annoyed scoff and picked me up under my arms. I squirmed uncomfortably causing us both to collapse back into the beanbag chair. "Ow." I groaned.

"I'm definitely getting rid of this thing."

"No!" I protest. "How could you blame the chair?! You tripped."

"And who made me trip?" He raised an eyebrow and scowled.

"Uh, probably the Nargles." I smiled innocently. He ruffled my hair making me groan. I stood up and watched father try to get himself out from the chair. "So..."

"Go celebrate, I know you want to." He offered. I looked up thoughtfully.

"Actually..." He glanced at me finally lifting himself up from the chair and standing over me. He raised an eyebrow, waiting for me to continue. "I'd want to spend the night with you. I miss your stories."

"What are you talking about? I don't tell stories." He denied.

"Yes you do! Well you tell me stories about mum sometimes, and I remember when you read me a story about the Deathly Hallows once!" He seemed surprised.

"You were four then. I told you that story when you caught the flu and was resting in bed." I nodded.

"And the next day you were sick." Father grimaced.

"It was different with you, you were too young to take a Pepperup potion." I shrugged.

"So can I hear a story? The ones about mum?" Father looked slightly conflicted about something.

"Alright." Father turned and walked to his armchair settling in it. I did what I had always done and hugged my knees, sitting at his feet, leaning my head on him. "So where did I leave off last time?"

"You guys had just been sorted!" I piped up.

"Oh yes." He gave me a look. "So your mother and I were now in different houses, but we still talked and stayed friends. At times after classes we'd go sit by the lake together. Lily was so smart and kind, and would always be helping people. After awhile, she started saying that she had a problem with my other friends." He paused and I looked at him. "They were all Slytherins except for her. They liked messing with the students of other houses, especially from Gryffindor. We got into many arguments. I saw it as harmless jokes, but Lily disagreed. She would tell me to stop hanging around them. I ignored her. Now, your father and I were never on good terms. Arrogant. Strutting around the corridors." I scowled and prodded Father with my finger. He glared at me. "Shall I continue?" I sighed and nodded.

"Anyhow, he spent much time being too arrogant for his own good. And he always had a bone to pick with me. One time in fifth year, he thought it'd be funny to mess with me again. Lily defended me. Out of my anger, I said something to her that I will regret forever." He sounded choked.

I usually listened quietly. But this time I spoke. "Would you have traded your friends for her? For her forgiveness?"

"Yes, but at the time I don't think I would've admitted it. I doubt she ever forgave me."

"I'm sure she did." Father and I turned to see Professor Dumbledore. I gasped. For how long had he been standing there? He began walking over as father pushed me off and stood up. His face had turned hard again.

"Headmaster." He addressed.

Professor Dumbledore smiled warmly. "You've spent seven years taking care of her daughter, and eleven years protecting her twins. She would've been very happy and grateful to you, Severus." He continued. "I knew Lily, and she never stayed mad for long. She was hurt, hurt that her best friend had called her such a disgusting word. But she was more worried, if anything. She saw that your friends would only lead you down a path of darkness and destruction. It would've hurt her too, to lose a friend." Father's expression softened slightly. He appeared to be in pain. I placed my hand on his arm and he flinched. Professor Dumbledore smiled slightly.  "Little Cindy looks up to you. Don't make the same mistake twice." At this, he turned to leave.

I stayed silent, processing this.  I had to admit, I was always curious as to why father always gave in when I pleaded with my eyes, or why he hated Harry so much. I snapped out of my thoughts to realize that Father had entered his connected dormitory, locking the door behind him. I sighed, and left for Gryffindor tower.

Halfway there, I heard footsteps from behind me. I spun around and saw Draco Malfoy and his friends advancing on me. There was no way I would be able to run. I calmly stood my ground. The three walked until they were in front of me. I looked up at Malfoy. He sneered at me. "So, how was detention?" I looked down again and shook my head. The sound of laughter followed. I really didn't care. "If it weren't for Dumbledore...stealing the house cup for the lot of you..." The next thing I knew, Malfoy had a grip on my shoulder and pushed me into the wall beside me. For a few moments, I merely stood there looking up at him and him looking down at me. Then he slowly released my shoulder and took a few steps back. Crabbe and Goyle appeared perplexed. Then, he muttered: "C'mon guys", and walked away. I was confused as well, but chose not to question it. I gathered myself and continued up the staircases.

When I arrived, I was bombarded with the sounds of laughter and cheering. Harry came up to me. "Where've you been? C'mon, everybody's celebrating. Looks like they'll be at it all night." I raised an eyebrow in surprise.

"Won't Professor McGonagall stop us?" Fred and George appeared on either side of me.

"Nah, word is, she's too busy celebrating herself to care. Heard she and Dumbledore are having Gin." Fred winked at me. I laughed. For a minute, everything felt normal, well, as normal as it could ever be.

-------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 30 is finally out! One more chapter and I'll begin book 2!

Lots of love,
Lily