Chapter 4

"It's cruel that I got to spend so much time with James and Lily, and you so little." - Sirius Black

-------------------------------------------------------

I was in a great mood that night. After loads of consideration, I decided to name the owl, Winter. I couldn't wait to see Harry and tell him about magic. I was so happy for once in a long time. Father called me down, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I sat down cross-legged in front of him on the rug. He cleared his throat. "Now, Cindy. Do you know anything about your parents?"

I thought for a second. "Well Aunt Petunia said they died in a car crash. She gets so angry when we ask questions."

"You don't know..." Father muttered under his breath. "For now all you have to know is that there's magic in the world. You may be able to do it when you get older"

"Really?!" I squealed.

Father covered his ears and shot me a glare. "What I wanted to discuss with you is that I teach at a school far from here. You are not yet old enough to attend and the circumstances- well, it wouldn't be appropriate of taking you with me. So you will be staying with a-" He paused as if searching for the right word. "-friend of your parents."

"Can't I stay with Harry?"

"I don't want you staying with your aunt and uncle. Is that clear?" I nodded in disappointment. "You will stay with him for the weekdays. I will see you on holidays and weekends." I nodded. He waved his hand at me as if to say go away. I ran back to my room and sat on the bed. I hoped my temporary guardian would be nice. I stared at the stars on my ceiling. I had glued them on earlier today.

I sighed. A new home-again. Although the friend of my parents would probably be more bearable than my aunt and uncle, I still missed Harry terribly. I grew up with him and he's the only family I've got, unless you count my despicable relatives. But I would see him again - just not now.

I realized I'd have to pack. He had gotten me a suitcase earlier. I guess I know what it's for now. I randomly stuffed in a bunch of clothes into the suitcase and zipped it up. Afterwards, I flopped on the bed and fell asleep.

~~~~

(Snape's POV)

She was a spitting image of my Lily. I don't understand how her eyes-

I sighed. I didn't like the idea of her living with the werewolf. I had no options though. She was clueless to magic and her parents' deaths. I wasn't the right person to tell her. I longed to bring her with me but Dumbledore wanted her to grow up in the muggle world. She would have no peace anyways, once word got around Hogwarts that the girl who lived was there.

Lily.

Had she forgiven me? Why would she make me her godfather? The boy had another godfather - the traitor, Sirius Black. I was only godfather to Cindy though. I couldn't bare to see a spitting image of Lily right after her death so I declined Dumbledore's proposal to keep her after that night in Godric's Hallow.

Nights like this I wonder what would be of Lily now if she had been mine, if I hadn't been so stupid. Would she have been alive? Would Cindy be Cindy Snape? She was my light in a world of darkness. She's gone now. I shook my head, clearing my thoughts. Little Cindy was so innocent. Like Lily, she was selfless and cute. She was extremely obedient, but I'm sure somewhere inside of her she's like Lily - bold, and unafraid to stand up for what she believed in.

On some nights I would be sitting in my rocking armchair all night, reminiscing. Now I have a child to protect. I've never been fond of children, but this is Lily's child. Hearing her call me father even when I don't ask her to makes me happy. I have less patience towards her because she reminds me so much of Lily, yet she isn't. When I bought her that owl today, I saw her smile for the first time. Although I didn't show it, she made me happier than I've been in years.