Chapter 27

"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to our enemies, but a great deal more, to stand up to our friends." - Albus Dumbledore

-------------------------------------------------------

I hadn't the faintest idea what we were about to face down there? More puzzles? Or finally the end? I do know that if father was really down here with us, I'd never forgive him. But then again, would I be alive to make that decision? He wouldn't kill me, would he? These seven years, he acted like he really cared. But what if that was really just an act? I pushed away the lingering thoughts as we descended down the steps.

Even from a distance, I could spot a shiny object and a figure in front of it. As we got closer, I realized that this was the Mirror of Erised. But what was it doing down here? Then, the figure turned. I gasped. "You!" Harry gasped. Quirrell grinned. "B-but it can't be!"

"Yes, next to Professor Snape, who would suspect p-poor st-stuttering Professor Quirrell?" He said sarcastically. My eyes narrowed.

"You tried to frame my father! How dare you!" I tried to lunge for him but Harry dragged me back.

"Stupid girl." I heard a voice hiss. I gasped.

Harry was still in shock. "But that day at the Quidditch match, Snape tried to kill me." Quirrell smiled sardonically.

"No, no, no, dear boy. I tried to kill you! And if Snape's cloak hadn't caught fire and broken my eye contact, I would have succeeded!" Then he let out a side thought. "Even with Snape muttering little counter curses." Harry gasped.

"Snape was trying to save me?"

"Of course, he never trusted me again. Especially after Halloween."

"Then you let the troll in!" Everything was finally making sense. Quirrell grinned again.

"Yes, but my plan backfired. While everyone was running about the dungeon, Snape ran to the third floor to head me off. After that he never trusted me again. Barely left me alone." Quirrell muttered to himself. "But he doesn't understand. I'm never alone."

"So th-that's why!" He turned to glare at me. "That's why Father followed you that day! And that night! I saw Father threatening you! How dare you?!" He laughed humorlessly.

"I should've known you were just like your meddlesome parents." Once again, Harry had to restrain me from throttling him. He turned back to the mirror. "I see the stone, but how do I get it?!"

"Use the twins." A voice hissed.

"Come here, now!" Startled, we slowly made our way up to the mirror. "What do you see?" I had expected to see the young girl again, but to my surprise, I didn't. I saw us in the mirror. Harry's reflection held up a stone and placed it in his pocket. Harry felt his pocket and involuntarily squeezed my hand. He had the stone.

"What is it, what do you see?!"

"I-I see myself, shaking hands with Dunbledore. I've won the house cup." Harry finally said.

"He lies." I gasped in horror.

"Tell the truth!" I tried again.

"We see our parents, alive and happy." Hopefully this would convince him.

This time the voice was silent, until-

"Let me speak to them, face to face."

Harry and I took several steps backwards until we hit the stairs. Up ahead, Quirrell was removing his turban. His head looked strange without it. Then finally he uncovered his head. I let out a scream.