Chapter 25

"Twitchy little ferret, aren't you, Malfoy." - Harry Potter

-------------------------------------------------------

Needless to say, I was paranoid. If Father found out he'd probably beat me and lock me in his dungeon for a month, well, if he had a dungeon. Professor McGonagall didn't tell, but by morning, we were already on the list of 5 most hated people in school. 200 points! I'd hate myself if I were them. And then there were the Slytherins, as smug as ever. As I left the charms classroom to head to my next class, I was cornered by Draco Malfoy and his cronies.

"So, has Professor Snape taught your sorry arse a lesson to not stick your nose where it doesn't belong yet?" Malfoy sneered. I tried to shove past him. "Not so fast. You're starting to make me feel like you're not happy to see me."

"I'm ecstatic, now if you'll excuse me-" I began.

Slap! I almost fell over with the force. I opened my mouth to retort when someone beat me to it. "Mr. Malfoy, care to explain what is going on here?" I gasped. Father stood behind me looking murderously angry.

I beat him to it. "It was my fault, um I challenged him to a strength contest."

Draco Malfoy sneered. "Oh really? And I thought I was teaching you a lesson. After all, you were out after hours last night." I groaned silently.

Father turned his glare to me. I gulped. "Well, Miss Potter?" I glanced at the floor. His gaze turned to ice again. "Mr. Malfoy, I heard what you said to Miss Potter earlier. Ten points."

"But Professor, your own house-"

"I do not tolerate fights in the corridors." He turned to me. "However, I'm glad you've brought to my attention of last night's events. I'll deal with you later." He sneered at me. I gulped. Draco Malfoy smirked and left. The bell went. I groaned loudly. Turning on his heel, father turned back to shout at me. "Another five points for tardiness. Get to class!" I glanced at my timetable. Potions. I let out an even bigger groan.

~~~~

Father gave me the evil eye all throughout class. He was furious, no doubt about that. I snuck into his office after class. "Please let me explain?" He glared at me silently. I took this as my cue to speak. "We snuck out for a reason." I took a breath. Ron, Harry and Hermione would kill me if they found out, but I trusted Father. "We think someone's trying to steal the Philosopher's Stone." Father choked on his breath.

"Who told you-"

"Please don't ask." I cut him off.

He sighed. "You're too clever for your own good, but I must I advise you to stay out of it."

"Oh? Like you are? I heard you and Professor Quirrell-" I gasped slapping a hand over my mouth. "I-I mean..." I wanted to dig a hole and bury myself in it to hide from the fire in his gaze.

"I knew I sensed someone that day. It was you! And Potter probably."

"No! Harry wouldn't do that. He didn't know I left. I snuck out so he wouldn't get in trouble if I was caught!" I fibbed.

"Oh? Then perhaps I should remind you why my rules are not to be ignored. Stand by the wall." I shook my head with wide eyes. Father's eyes narrowed.

"Has being at Hogwarts turned you insolent? Do as I say!"

I inched over to the wall. I heard father take out the stick and I blocked the rest out.

~~~~

I currently sat curled up in father's armchair, sniffling quietly. I guess I forgot how much his punishments could hurt. And to make things worse, I had detention tonight. Father had informed the Professors that I wasn't feeling quite well and excused me from attending class. That was the good side. The last thing I needed was for Draco Malfoy to see me with swollen eyes and a puffy, red nose.