Chapter 13

"Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education has not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent'." - Severus Snape

-------------------------------------------------------

I was beyond frustrated. Luna insisted she knew a shortcut to class and we had ended up getting lost on the moving staircases again. I had transfiguration this morning. Professor McGonagall was not going to be happy if I showed up late. Luckily after a few more rounds, we found the classroom, but not before Peeves the poltergeist got to us. Thanks to him, I now have ink blots in my hair.

As I walked in Professor McGonagall glanced at me knowingly. "Peeves?" I nodded. "Very well, get yourself cleaned up and return to class." I thanked her and ran back to the common room. She transformed into a cat and perched on the desk. After I returned to class I looked around for Harry but he wasn't in class. Neither was Ron. I was about to ask Hermione where they were when Harry and Ron ran into the class. Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Could you imagine the look on McGonagall's face if we were late?" I groaned. Professor McGonagall had transformed back. Ron's eyes widened. "That was bloody brilliant."

She did not look pleased. "Oh thank you for that assessment, Mr. Weasley. Perhaps it would be more useful if I were to transform Mr. Potter or you into a pocket watch? That way one of you may be on time.

"W-we got lost." Harry said. I groaned louder. Professor McGonagall glanced at me before turning back to them. I sank lower in my seat. "Then perhaps a map. I trust you don't need one to find your seats." Harry and Ron sat down sheepishly. The remainder of the class passed uneventfully.

~~~~

We were waiting in the potions classroom. Father stepped in and everyone went silent. "There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class." He paused. "As such, I don't expect many of you to fully appreciate the art of subtle science that is potion making." Father went on explaining uses of potions and I could see Harry copying notes at the corner of my eye. "-to not pay attention!" What? "Potter!"

I jumped a few inches. I could hear Draco snickering behind me. Oh, he meant Harry. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" He barked at Harry. Beside me Hermione shot her hand up, nearly knocking me off my chair in the process. Harry shook his head. "You don't know? Then tell me this. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?"

Oh, I knew this one, I leafed though father's books. Hermione raised her hand higher. I wrote "stomach of a goat" on my notebook and jabbed Harry in the side. He winced and looked at the paper. "Stomach of a goat." Father looked surprised, and suspicious. He walked over to me and I tried to cover the notebook, only to have him snatch it. He glared at me. I gulped.

"So, Potter, can't do anything without your sister's help?" Harry glared. "No? Well let's try again. What is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?" Hermione stood up. "You don't know? Pity."

"Clearly, Hermione knows, seems like a pity not to ask her." I burst out laughing. Father stormed over to us. "For your information, Potter, wormwood and powdered root of asphodel make the Draught of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone take from the stomach of a goat and will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant which also goes by the name of aconite. Ten points from Gryffindor." He turned to glare at me. I flinched. "And you, detention. My office. 7pm sharp."

"Yes, sir."

~~~~

Charms was next. Professor Flitwick was teaching us how to levitate something. "Swish and flick. Wingardium Leviosa." Everyone started to try.