Chapter 26

"Until the very end." - James Potter

-------------------------------------------------------

Father wasn't speaking to me. I was worried. If it weren't for Firenze, we could've died. Would he even care? What if he really had something to do with the stone?

I sighed. The bell went signaling end of the morning lessons. The four of us made our way through the corridors out onto the grounds. Hagrid was playing his flute to Fang in the distance. Harry's eyes suddenly lit up. "Of course!" He began to run towards Hagrid. We raced behind him trying to keep up. "Don't you find it weird, that all Hagrid wants is a dragon, and a stranger shows up, and just happens to have one? I mean, how many people walk around with dragon eggs in their pocket? Why didn't I see it before?!"

"Hagrid!" Harry yelled. Hagrid beamed and place down his flute.

"Who gave you the dragon egg?" I finished.

"Well, I dunno, I didn't see his face, he kept his hood up."

"This stranger, did he ask you anything?"

Hagrid appeared to be deep in thought. "Yeah, he kept buying me drinks, and he asked if I had any pets of my own."

"And did you tell him?" Harry asked.

"Well, yeah. I told him I had Fluffy, a dragon's gonna be no problem." Now we were finally getting somewhere.

"Did he seem interested in Fluffy?"

"O' course he was interested! How many three-headed dogs do you see? Hagrid continued. "But I told him, the trick to owning a pet is knowing how to calm him. Take Fluffy for example. Just play about of music, and he'll go straight to sleep!" We stared at each other in horror.

Hagrid's eyes widened. "I shouldn't have told you that." We didn't wait for him to talk before racing towards the castle. "Hey! Where yer going, where yer-"

"That stranger must've been Snape! Now he knows how to get past Fluffy!" We raced into Professor McGonagall's classroom. "We have to see Professor Dumbledore! Immediately!" Hermione yelled frantically.

Professor McGonagall gave us a suspicious glance. "I'm afraid Professor Dumbledore is not in right now. He received a letter from the Ministry of Magic and left immediately. Whatever you have to say will have to wait."

"But this is important!" Professor McGonagall raised an eyebrow. "This is about the Philosopher's Stone!" Professor McGonagall did a double take.

"H-how do you-"

"Sn-Someone's gonna try and steal it!"

She looked at us suspiciously. "Well I don't know how you three found out about the stone but rest assured as it is well protected." I sighed in exasperation. We couldn't just say Hagrid told someone. We had no proof. "Now you four go back to your common room-quietly." Disappointed, we left.

We stood outside the Transfiguration classroom. "She won't believe that Snape's trying to steal it, what're we gonna do?!"

"What if we-" I was about to retort when a shadow loomed over us.

"Now what would four Gryffindor students, such as yourselves, be doing inside on such a bright, sunny day?" I groaned inwardly.

Hermione turned to face him. "Uh, we were-we were just-"

"You better take extra care not to lose any more points for Gryfindor." At this, he sneered at us and left the way he came from.

"What're we gonna do now, Harry?"