Chapter 12

"You're just as sane as I am." - Luna Lovegood

-------------------------------------------------------

We entered the Great Hall behind Professor McGonagall. The ceiling amazed me. It appeared like the night sky. Behind me, I could hear Hermione explaining this to another girl. Ron rolled his eyes beside me.

Soon we had reached the front of the Great Hall. There was a stool with a battered old hat on it. I looked at it confused. Professor McGonagall called the first student up. He sat down on the chair and she placed the hat on his head. My eyes widened as the hat formed a face and announced: "Ravenclaw!" The Great Hall erupted in applause. The boy went to the third table and sat down. This carried on until Hermione and Ron were both sorted in Gryffindor, and Draco in Slytherin.

Then, "Potter, Cindy!" I walked shakily to the chair. Father's eyes were on me. The hat was placed on my head. It whispered in my ear.

"Ah, Miss Potter, I've beeen expecting you.I feel the power running through your veins. Very much like someone I once knew. You have a evil aura that I cannot decipher but it does not appear to be yours. I can feel you will be valuable on both the Dark and Light sides, whatever side you shall choose to submit your loyalties to. It's your choice. However, I do sense a pure light and goodness emitting from you. My choice is clear." Then he announced to the everyone. "GRYFFINDOR!" I could hear yelling from all around me as I walked to sit with Ron. I studied father as people patted me on the back. He has a blank expression and I couldn't tell if he was angry or not.

"Potter, Harry." The Great Hall was once again silent. Harry walked to the chair and sat down on it. As the hat was placed on him I could see his expression change from worried to scared to hopeful. "GRYFFINDOR!" The screaming was louder than ever. Harry came to sit beside me. After all the students were sorted, the feast begun.

~~~~

After the feast, Percy, led us to Gryffindor tower. Harry and I said goodnight to each other and I went with Hermione to the girls dormitory. She went on and on about how excited she was for classes. I listened politely until she finally went to sleep. I gathered my thoughts, thinking about our parents' death, You-know-who, and most of all, what the sorting hat said to me. An evil aura? There were times where I felt anger and frustration. At those times I would get nasty thoughts, of doing cruel things to people. Those thoughts scared me, and I was terrified that I was slowly becoming bad. I never acted on the thoughts because deep inside I knew that the real me wouldn't do such things, that something was wrong. As long as I held onto the light inside me, I would be okay.

~~~~

The next morning I woke up early and exhausted, but I was unable to go back to sleep. I decided to head to class early. I brushed my teeth and headed downstairs. I left the common room quietly and walked down to the Great Hall for breakfast.

"Hey, mute girl!" I groaned inwardly. I knew that voice. I turned to face him and his cronies, against my better judgment.

"I'm not mute." I answered quietly. They snickered at me.

"Then why'd you answer to it?" I shrugged, looking down. Draco grabbed a hold of my shirt and pulled my hair back to stare at me in the face. "Look, I don't care if you're mute or just plain stupid! But you had better warn that bloody brother of yours to make the right choice before I do it for him."

I kicked him in the shin. "Don't you dare threaten my brother."

He looked at me murderously. He nodded to Crabbe and Goyle. They each grabbed one of my arms. He got in my face. "I-I'm s-sorry." I whimpered.

He smirked. "Too late." Then he punched me in the stomach. That really hurt, but I clenched my teeth to refrain from making any noise. Draco nodded at them and they dropped me. I sank to my knees. "That's where you belong, below us." Then he turned and left.

"Are you okay?" I saw a girl with waist-length dirty blonde hair walk up to me. I nodded at her. "Did a wrackspurt get to you?"

"What?"

"They're creatures that float through your ears making you dizzy."

"No, it was definitely a person."

"Oh, I could've sworn I felt a wrackspurt."

"Um...who are you?"

"Luna Lovegood."

"I'm Cindy Potter."

"Everyone's talking about you and Harry." She said dreamily. I smiled.

"Unfortunately." I decided I liked her. "Should we be getting to class?"

"Oh, right, class, sure."

-------------------------------------------------------
Hey:) spoiler: cindy is rather shy around people that she isnt close to, so Draco will tend to bully her a lot. oh yeah, i know luna lovegood is ginny's age, but i moved her up a year

If anyone is wondering why she didnt stand up to him, its her personality, she would rather let him have his way than pick a fight. except when he insulted her brother, shes protective over her family. btw, i cant figure out how to post a pic...

like?

- lily