Chapter 3

"I love magic." -Harry Potter

-------------------------------------------------------

After a lot of fussing and father looking like he wanted to strangle me - which I admit was my fault - I finally got dressed and ready for wherever he was taking me. I was wearing the blue dress and some sandals and, with much fuss, a fairly large hat that covered most of my face. He said it was to avoid attention which I didn't understand. Was he well-known and didn't want people seeing him drag a child around?

He dragged me outside, walked to the end of the path, and spun. I blinked. Where did he go? It was like magic, one moment he was there, then he wasn't. But then again, whatever he did last night was like magic too. We were on Privet Drive, then we were here, almost-almost like magic. There had to be some sort of explanation though. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had always told us that magic didn't exist and everything had an explanation. However they were always reluctant to give us said explanation.

Before I had time to process my thoughts, I was shaken roughly. I started. I looked up to see father with a disapproving look full of impatience. I looked at him curiously. He sighed. "You were supposed to grab on, you silly girl!"

"Why?"

He studied me in a curious manner, almost like he thought I was pretending to be stupid. After a moment he cleared his throat. "None of your concern. Just hold on!" I hurriedly grabbed his large hand in my small one and he spun.

I once again experienced the oh-so-pleasant feeling of being squeezed through a tube. Thank goodness I didn't throw up again. I took a few seconds to steady myself. Father just huffed impatiently and grabbed my sleeve, dragging me forwards.

It was then I noticed we were in an inner part of London. We were surrounded by stores. Father randomly pushed me into a kids' clothing store and started looking around. I obediently followed him around and ended up bumping into him a couple of times when he abruptly stopped. When this happened, he would shoot me a glare.

Soon after, he had picked out an armful of clothes. He led me into a fitting room and pushed me in. He waited outside for five minutes before stepping in. When he saw me just standing there, he held his head in his hands while muttering, "Is there a problem?"

I shook my head violently. "What am I supposed to do?"

He looked at me seriously. "Haven't you ever been clothes shopping before?" I shook my head and father's eyes widened. "Then what did you wear at your Aunt and Uncle's?" Then he frowned as if he'd just realized something. "When I went to pick you up, you were wearing clothes that were way too large for you."

"Yeah," I admitted with a small voice . "I usually wear my cousin's clothes."

"But wasn't he that massive boy I saw spying through the door when I went to fetch you?" He sputtered.

"Yes?" I said it questioningly.

"Your Aunt had you wear boy clothing four sizes too large?"

"Umm-yeah, she said I was only a child so it didn't matter." At this, father took a deep breath and closed his eyes. After about a minute late he regained his posture and helped me try on the clothing. Most of it fit and when we left the store, I had so many new clothes.

Father had bought me T-shirts in every colour of the rainbow, four teddy bear pattern sweaters in blue, green, pink, and white. He had also bought me 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of sweats,a pair of overalls, 4 skirts-2 plain in red and blue, 2 plaid in pink and blue. He bought me 2 summer dresses for special occasions, rainbow socks, and many pairs of shoes- 2 pairs of sneakers, a pair of special running shoes, two pairs of sandals, and a pair of flip flops.

Finally we left the stores carrying seven bags. I thought father would spin and we would head home, but he motioned me to follow him and headed towards a little place that was called the Leaky Cauldron. He pushed the door open and people stared at him in recognition as he made his way down the aisle. Many appeared to be curious as I tagged along behind him. Soon we had reached aa flight of stairs. He led me down the stairs and we came to a brick wall.

I was incredibly curious as to why we were here, but from past experiences with my Aunt and Uncle, I learned not to ask questions. Father took out his stick and tapped a few bricks. To my astonishment they wiggled and the wall soon separated leaving a gap to pass through. I couldn't stops myself from asking, "Where are we?"

He looked down at me before responding. "This is Diagon Alley." I didn't know what that was, but couldn't stop myself from looking around. It was a huge street with shops on the side. There was one shop for broomsticks and one for all sorts of weird pets.

I couldn't think of any other logical explanation unless...I tugged on father's sleeve. "Is this really magic?"

I thought I could detect amusement in his eyes before he nodded.

My eyes grew wide. They roamed the streets, amazed at what was here. Father suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me into the pet shop.

I looked around, amazed. There were toads, cats, owls, and other reptiles. The store owner knelt down to my level with a smile. "Which do you like the most, little girl?" I scanned around and my eyes landed on a snow white bird. I pointed to it. "Yeah, she's a beauty, isn't she?" I sighed and continued to stare at her.

After a while father told me we had to leave. My heart sank as I unwillingly walked away from the bird. As I walked out, I turned to see father carrying the bird I had so desperately wanted. He bent down to my level and handed it to me. "Happy Birthday." he whispered.

I gasped in surprise and joy. I had never gotten a gift before. I immediately launched myself at father and exclaimed, "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" He awkwardly cleared his throat and pried me off of him.

"You're welcome." then he turned and headed home. I followed silently behind him. I don't think he likes affection very much.

-------------------------------------------------------
For any clarification, if Cindy says/thinks Sir/Father, she's referring to Snape. If she says/thinks dad, it's James.

Update: (I am re-editing this story. To the best of my ability. Because my 14 year old writing skills were by not that great😑.
So what did you think? I'd love to hear ur thoughts

vote😊

comment😃

Lots of love,
-Lily