chapter 28

The sky is a vast, endless, and ever-changing canvas of colors. It's a place where the sun sets and the moon rises. The sky is a place where birds fly and clouds drift. It's a place of dreams and inspiration.

As Danielle peer her gaze away, his eyes landed on Haerin's face, she was sitting on a wheel chair with an IV beside her. The girl's facial features is something uniquely gorgeous. Danielle couldn't help but be in awe whenever she look at her.

Haerin glanced back, "Whenever you start missing me, all you have to do is look up to the sky. Sounds so cliché but you never know, I might be looking back." She chuckled

However, Danielle couldn't bring herself to laugh or smile at that statement.

"How fast do you think the time should move?" She asked as she sat down to level Haerin's face

The latter shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know, slower?"

"You want time to feel slower?"

Haerin nods as she pursed her lips, "I'd be able to appreciate things the longer it lasts,"

That piqued Danielle's interest, "What moment would you want to slow down?"

Haerin took a deep breath, eyes landing back to the blue sky.

"Right now."

"Why?"

"Have you heard of terminal lucidity, Dani?"

Danielle was perplexed yet she still answered, "Yes, I think so."

Haerin smiled a little, "It's just when a person is about to die, snd they start acting normal. Regaining energy, talking, acting like everything's gonna be okay."

Danielle's breathing went rigid, "W-What are you saying?"

Haerin tilts her head to the side, avoiding Danielle's orbs.

"You know like when old dogs suddenly start running around like they're puppies. It's a sign before death." She stated casually.

"I don't understand, Haerin."

"I haven't been conscious for more than five hours, talking takes a toll on me, my skin is sensitive. I know what's going to happen."

"So you're saying you're going to die?" Danielle scoffed in disbelief

"No," Haerin paused, contemplating. "I'm saying I have energy to finally have a conversation with you."

"Are you not scared, Haerin?"

"I'm terrified. Time should've moved slower." She whispers

"Why are you acting like everything's normal, Kang?"

"Because this might be our last moment together." Haerin swallowed hard, tears blurred her eyes. "I don't want you to remember our last time spent together as something that hurts,"

I love you. "Please don't leave," Danielle gripped the hem of Haerin's hospital gown.

"We still have time together." Haerin forced a laugh

"I don't even know how much time is left." Danielle weakly mumbled

Haerin bit her quivering lips, "Me neither. But I'll spend the remaining time I have with you,"

"Time needs to completely stop."

"I agree. I hope it will."

They were surrounded by a complete silence. Danielle made Haerin rest her head on her shoulder. She taps her fingers on her thigh, hesitating whether to spill the question she's been dying to know the answer for.

"Kang?"

"Hmm?"

"Why do we have to stay just friends?"

Another silence. Haerin raised her head, she looked at Danielle's direction but the girl was looking away, that made her crack a smile

"I never said that. Do you want us to be more than friends?"

"Yes!" Danielle retorted rather quickly

Haerin giggled, "Sure."

"Sure?"

"Sure."

Danielle squealed, "So what are we now?"

"More than friends." replied Haerin

The other girl's smile instantly turned into a frown, "What does that mean?"

"It means we are no longer just friends." Haerin teased a little more, but her answer is serious. She's not planning to be Danielle's girlfriend.

She doesn't have many time left. Haerin doesn't want to lock her in a relationship knowing she'll be taken away from her soon.

"So do you like me?"

Haerin nods.

"You find me attractive?"

"Yes."

"You're not doing this out of pity?"

Her eyebrow knots in confusion, "No."

Danielle's orbs sparkled in joy, "I've liked you for a long time."

"Okay."

"Just okay?"

"I don't know, what do you want me to say?"

Danielle rolled her eyes, "Anything, really."

"I just don't get why you like me. I've never done anything to make you feel that way,"

Danielle brushes her hair softly, "Do my feelings have to make sense?"

"I'd prefer if they did," Haerin retorted

"Everything about you is makes me fall inlove with you," Danielle blushed hence she looked away, feeling flustered.

"Define everything." Haerin snickered

"You." She paused, "You are everything,"

Pink tint began to appear on Haerin's cheeks that she had to steer away, "That's good enough for me," She faked a cough

"How do you feel about me?" Danielle pouts

"I've liked you awhile back, but I was in denial. So I waited and waited, and I finally accepted it. Now we're here."

"Do you still like me?" Danielle slowly and gently intertwined their fingers

"Yeah,"

"Okay."

"Okay." She tittered

"You're everything,"

Danielle booped her nose, "You're everything too."