chapter 30

"How is she?"

Hyein looked up. It was Chaewon, holding a boquet of flowers in her hands.

"I don't know," She answered in a weak voice

"And how are you?" Chaewon sat beside her in the hallway

Hyein shakes her head, "I don't know,"

"A little birdie told me you haven't been attending your classes,"

"Haerin needs me, and I need her."

Chaewon observed her face for a while. She noticed how drastic Hyein lost her weight, her once chubby cheeks were now chiseled, undereyes were hollow and her once cheerful and sparkling orbs are lifeless.

The day she lost her friends was the day a part of her died. She was no longer what she used to be.

Chaewon taps her back. "Let's eat inside, I ordered something."

"I'm not hungry,"

Hyein opened the door of Haerin's room. She was lying on the bed. It's that day of drowning, again, the cold wash only she can feel. Haerin don't want to get up. She don't want to move at all.

The first week of Danielle's demise, Haerin was a mess, she was accompanied by a lot of profound sadness where waking up every morning involves the feeling of crying and it seems like the day feels so long and staring into what seems like abyss becomes a routine.

However, Haerin never cried after that day. The expectations for grief is to cry, scream, break something. Let all the pain out in one blow. This was all she saw in the movies. This is what she expected of herself. But she never knew she could feel so cold, numb, heartless.

When she woke up the same night, Danielle was no longer there, Hyein was crying so hard she almost had a panic attack. Haerin had no idea what happened until Chaewon accompanied her to the morgue. The image of the girl shocked her, Chaewon woke up from a deep coma yet she couldn't bring herself to feel happy

When they arrived, someone said it was a car wreck that was so horrible you couldn't look away. But it was no accident. The police said someone intentionally drove their truck on Karina's car, and they are still trying to find the culprit.

The officer said Danielle was conscious in an agonizing ten minutes time before she was took away. Karina and Kai suffered extreme injuries since they were at the side of the driver's, the officers had a hard time recognizing the two because of the external injuries they suffered.

Minji on the otherhand went through a severe trauma to the brain and a broken spinal cord. It was expected Hanni will survive the crash but she then gave up halfway and was confirmed dead on arrival because of traumatic brain injury and internal bleeding

Haerin stared at Danielle's lifeless body. She laid there as Haerin stood looking at her, face to corpse. Now to be honest, for a dead person, she still had color. She didn't have an eerie gray coloring. Perhaps that was the makeup that they put on the deceased to make sure they just look like they are sleeping. For her to cry was so unlike her, for her to sob, life was not real. After 30 seconds of staring, she came back down to reality. Danielle was gone.

Her lips were locked together by the shear antipathy that this would be her last encounter with Danielle, a no longer breathing her.