ᴏɴᴇ

March 8, 2019

Ajay

Tringggg

I hear the alarm bell ringing and wake up. I sit on the bed and off the alarm before rubbing my face.

I brush my teeth and change to joggers for my morning walk. I step out of my room and wear my shoes before locking the house.

There is a park nearby my apartment. It is a usual routine for me to go for jogging. I prefer jogging before sunrise as there wont be much people at that time. I walk around the park for 3 times and go back to the apartment.

Sunrise Apartments is a 15 storey building with a park, garden and a parking lot. My Apartment is on the 7th floor of the building named "7B".

I reach my apartment and smile awkwardly at the maid lady of the neighbour apartment who smiled at me. I sprint inside my house before she could ask anything.

I walk into the kitchen and prepare coffee before pouring it into two cups. I take one cup and slowly open the door of the room opposite to mine. It is actually the master bedroom and the room on which I am staying is a guest room.

Sreedevi is sleeping peacefully under the duvet. I place the coffee on the side table and turn off the air conditioner. I walk out of the room and start preparing breakfast and lunch for us.

I can sense Sreedevi walking around the house drinking her coffee. Eventhough I make bed coffees for her everyday, Sreedevi won't taste the coffee without brushing her teeth.

She walks in the kitchen and washes the cup in the sink. I hear a throat clearing sound and glance at her direction.

"Athu enak innaik lunch pack panna vendam" She says.

(Its just...dont pack lunch for me today)

"Yen?" I ask with a frown.

(Why?)

"Innaik Women's day.. So School la staffs uk special meal"

(Its women's day today.. School management is providing special meal for the staffs)

My mouth shape an O. I nod my head at her and she leaves the kitchen.

'Evanavathu men's day nu sollit namak oru naal soru podrana? Chai' I talk to myself cutting the carrots.

(No one is good enough to serve special meal for men's day) 

By the time, I prepare the lunch and breakfast, Sreedevi puts the washed clothes from the machine to dry, sweeps the house and get ready for work.

I arrange the idly and sambar that I have prepared on the dining table when she comes out of the room dressed in a lemon yellow saree all ready. She sits on the chair and serve herself to eat.

I pack my lunch and keep the remaining food inside the refrigerator.

"Varumbothu mudinja vegetables vangit variya?"

(Can you buy some vegetables when you are back?)

I ask her as I walk inside my room. She nods her head after thinking for a minute.

I fetch my towel and move inside the bathroom for shower. After a fresh bath, I step outside wrapping the towel around my waist. I ruffle my hair and pat it to dry. I pick a black ironed formal shirt and gray pants for today.

I put on my clothes, tie and watch. I wear my rimless square shaped glass. I close the door of my room and find that Sreedevi has left.

I eat my breakfast patiently and put all the dishes to wash. I pick my office bag, car keys and switch off all the lights and fan in the house before locking the flat. Sreedevi would arrive way before me so she has a spare key to open the flat.