30 | twilight time

───── ❝ you're so cruel  ❞ ─────

[emei chiba]

A gentle breeze grazed Emei's cheek as she massaged her shoulders. The assassination plan took ages to plan, and honestly, it was making her sore and fatigued. Now that the sun had submerged under the horizon, everyone sauntered off the peer and back to the hotel.

They were exhausted from their efforts in killing Koro-sensei. And now that he was in his super-defense mode, there was nothing left to do but wait.

Still, it was warm out and the moon provided a shimmery light on the calm sea, bringing indirect comfort to a sleepy girl.

Emei squeezed out the water in her damp hair and watched it drip into the water below, creating ripples.

She yawned and slouched over, staring into her wonky reflection.

"Ugh...My tummy hurts," the girl touched her stomach and rubbed it in a circular motion.

After the failed assassination, her body felt terribly tired and craved a warm bed to pass out on.

Everything was peaceful until she heard the wood creek behind her, and then her towel fell over her shoulders, covering her back and arms.

"Only idiots catch colds during the summer." A familiar taunting voice brought a slight grin to her lips. She felt her pulse quicken and a nervous excitement took over. "So are you?"

"I thought you left with the others."

The redhead sat down beside her with one leg propped up to rest an elbow on. He cocked his head back and breathed in the crisp salty air.

"Noticed you weren't there, thought someone snatched you up, so I went back looking," he teased, poking at Emei's cheek.

"I wouldn't get━" Her sentence was cut off with a sneeze.

"Sure~"

"Karma. Why'd you stop talking to me?" Emei mumbled quietly, afraid to bring up the topic in case Karma would steer away from it again.

She sits up purposefully and tall━not slouching as she normally did; her eyes were determined for an answer. Just one. She just needed to know why he avoided her.

In Karma's peripheral vision, he felt her eyes staring straight through him; and he hated it. Feeling already so vulnerable under her gaze, he bites his lip, casting his eyes at the water. 

"Karma," Emei said again, tugging his sleeve, "are you sure I didn't do anything wrong?"

The boy felt a turning in his chest. it contorted into a pain he grew to hate over the past month. For a long time, he felt insecure, much to his reluctance as Karma could only count the amount of times he's been stumped on one hand.