48 | win or lose time

───── ❝ ditching me is fine  ❞ ─────

As the winter showcase approached steadily, it got harder to find time to talk to Karma

As the winter showcase approached steadily, it got harder to find time to talk to Karma. The separation was rough enough, and, yes, the couple tried to keep themselves busy. However, that didn't mean they tried to make as much room in their schedules to call each other. 

Emei felt bad, knowing today she'd have to break the news to her that she wouldn't be able to spend time with him on the night of his birthday. She lied in her bed anxiously, tapping at her phone as it rang, waiting for him to pick up the other line.

After a few rings, Karma's charming voice answered. 

"Hello, my pretty girl." 

"Hi, surprised you picked up. I just called you on a whim." Emei smiled.

"His Royal Highness let me off the hook early since we finished a good portion of work." She could hear Karma's eye-roll across the phone.

"I'm honestly shocked you and Gakashu are friends."

"Friends? Nah id say business partners." Karma denied it, but she knew he saw the ex-principal's son in a new light since last year. 

"Whatever you say. Anyway, there's some news I need to tell you."

"Is it bad news?" Karma mumbled. 

"Um...Kind of...Winter break's coming up, the band's getting pretty busy. There's a competition of bands happening soon."

"That sounds like fun. when's the event happening?" Karma felt like he knew where this conversation was going, but he wasn't too sure. 

"Christmas Eve." Emei's voice got small when she heard him exhale loudly. As if it was an attempt to ground himself and hide the emotions he was feeling. 

"Winners get tickets to a famous band concert. We've all been dying to see them perform, but none of us had enough money to buy tickets."

"Is that so?" 

"Mhm...You remember Mafuyu right?"

"Yeah." His replies were getting shorter and drier. 

"He has a new camera and tripod. So—um—I can send you a recording of us playing." Emei tried to ease her way through to Karma's soft side, but it didn't seem to be working.

"If it's on Christmas Eve, does that mean we can't call on my birthday?"

"Oh...Um...I'm sorry...I don't think I can call you on your birthday, the competition is happening away from our school, so we'd have to leave early before call time." With each word, Emei felt an immense amount of guilt. She began to wonder if this was the right call if she should cancel on her friends and spend the time she rarely got with her boyfriend. But that would be a backstab to her friends.