45 | urgent time

───── ❝ important ❞ ─────

───── ❝ important  ❞ ─────

[ karma akabane ]

Winter was coming early this year.

This freezing fucking air not only meant finals were only drawing closer, it also meant he had to see Emei less as less, as she prefers to rush home as soon as they're dismissed.

Their days under the oak tree were nonexistent now.

The freeing fucking air blew away all the leaves which offered shade, and that took away Emei's napping spot. After all that time he took trying to get closer to his crush the stupid fucking weather and pressure of academics took her away from him.

The redheaded boy shuffled his feet in the crunchy autumn leaves, hands in his blazer's pocket as he waited outside the building.

He was waiting for Emei to finish her interview, but it was taking longer than he expected.

A buzz came from his pocket and the boy fished out his phone.

A text message from...his mother?

"Shit. They're back?" Karma mumbled, typing out a reply. He opened his messages with Emei, reading the most recent one he sent her.

'give me a scarf that looks just like yours.'

'no. red would wash you out. I'll make you a grey one.'

He sent her a text saying he's going home and left.

Karma stopped by the convenience store on his way home, buying a bag of snacks and comic issues, and a new game for the console he won at the summer festival.

When he reached his neighborhood, there was a familiar western car parked in the driveway.

"Hey, mom." Karma tried to smile as big as he could.

"Is that any way to greet the person who suffered and birthed you after her long trip from Brazil?" Mrs. Akabane ruffled her son's hair.

"Geez, you didn't exactly give me any time to get excited." Karma protested, trying to push her away. "Where's dad? I'll say hi after I shower, I feel nasty."

"He's out buying dinner. By the way, that neighbor girl stopped by our house earlier looking for you. Care to explain why you got a girlfriend and never told me?"

"What?" Karma stopped at the stairs, whipping his head back to face his mother with wide eyes. "Mom, before you go off on a rant about how no one's good enough for your son, she isn't my girlfriend."

"I can't believe you think I'm one of those horrid boys mom. But you can't blame me for wanting to know exactly who you're about to date."

"Uh—how do I even respond to that?" Karma cocked his head to the side.

"Either way, that girl sure acted like your girlfriend. Said she had something urgent to tell you. I just told her to go home and find you tomorrow since she lives down the street."

Something urgent? Karma ought to make his shower quick then head over to Emei's house to see why she was looking for him.

This wasn't something they could cover over text.

"I gotta go." The redhead tousled his hair in a towel then tossed it on the couch, he half-ass threw on a black tank top and a grey supreme hoodie. "I'll be back as soon as possible for dinner. Promise."

Before he could make it to the door, his mother's arm stopped him. "If she isn't your girlfriend, then this can't be that urgent."

"Mom, not now. I'm not gonna argue with you. If you try to stop me I'm just gonna force my way out. It's important."

"What an attitude! Son, you understand that I haven't seen you in months. And you're leaving now for someone who you claim isn't your girlfriend, yet you're treating her like a top priority. Get your shit straight." His mother crossed her arms, blowing a maroon strand of hair out of her face.

"Mom, you're making no sense. Why do you even care that she's my girlfriend in the first place?"

"Because then I can get past you wanting to abandon your family."

"I'm not abandoning anybody. I just happen to have people I care about other than you and Dad."

"You never cared for those other friends of yours, not even that Nagisa boy. So what makes her different?"

Karma clicked his tongue as he adjusted his socks on.

"She's not my girlfriend yet. I'm tryna make it official, but I'm not rushing anything. Can I go now?" the boy let out an impatient groan.

Mrs. Akabane rolled her amber eyes, slapping her son over the head.

"Be back in twenty minutes. Bring her here to finish your talk if it comes to it. Your old hag just wants to spend time with her only son."

"Ow—fuck! Fine! You're so bipolar!" Karma slammed the door on his way out.