49.5 | back in time

───── ❝ i missed you ❞ ─────

July: Midterms of the second year in high school rolled around

July: Midterms of the second year in high school rolled around. Karma and Emei had moved on from their disagreement and were back to normal.

"Why are there so many letters?" Emei groaned, her fingers twitching over the paper, tempted to crumple it. "I thought math was numbers."

"Those letters are numbers. You just have to find them, stupid," Karma chuckled to himself, staring at the girl on Facetime through his smartphone.

Karma's teaching methods were a little sadistic and sometimes vexing, but, unlike previous tutors Emei's tried out, he made learning fun, and always voiced great praise whenever she got the hang of things.

It was impressive enough that he adjusted to the material she was learning since they were of different math levels, but Emei would never admit that out loud. Battle of the egos per say.

"Emei." Karma's voice pierced causing her to flinch out of her daydreaming delusions. "Focus."

He sighed strictly, in a voice that Emei wasn't fond of.

She gave her boyfriend an apologetic smile, understanding his seriousness when it came to academics.

Back then, when they studied together, there were times when Karma would tickle her awake while he was tutoring her. It was a pest at the moment, but when she recalled the memory, it brought a sad smile to her face.

An hour went by and the sufferable tutoring session halted.

"I hope you get first this time around." Emei chimed, resting her face near her propped-up phone. "I know how upset you were when Asano got the highest score last month."

Karma grabbed his phone and chucked it over to his bed, making Emei stare at his ceiling before his body came crashing down at an awkward angle. He flipped over on his back, holding his phone near his chin.

How can this fucker look good from all angles?

"I'll beat him for sure." The redhead smirked as he closed the Facetime app to tap away at a mobile game. "So..."

"What is it now, genius?"

"Very funny," Karma scoffed lightheartedly, "You're coming back soon right? In August."

"Yep!" Emei popped the 'p'. "The museum construction and interior are finished. All they gotta do now is fill it with artifacts and art and do the grand opening. We should be right on schedule and return in the middle of summer vacation."

"You've shown me pictures of that building, it's pretty nice, your old man's got taste. If only he could apply that Victorian style to your house though."

"Dad said our house is minimal to make cleaning easy. He's hardly home so there's no point in furnishing. Plus we're only living here for a year."

Karma's face appeared back on the Facetime screen; consequently, Emei's lips tugged into a smile.