34 | Karma time

───── ❝ give  ❞ ─────

『 11:45 pm 』

'if things couldn't get any weirder the rain felt like it would wash me away. Seriously, what kind of summer has rain written in its weather report?'

Karma learned quickly that it was better to keep a distance from people he encounters. He followed a strict path that never strayed too close to another person.

He made sure to never share too much of himself. 

He made sure to never reveal himself as emotional or vulnerable because it would warrant the possibility of being taken advantage of. 

He drew that path for himself shortly after the betrayal of a father figure he once poured his trust. That landed him in expulsion and soon, E-class. 

The days he spent by himself in his room, hardly leaving unless it was to shower or pick up takeout, were mundane and peaceful. That was how he liked it.

He wandered around and around his bedroom playing video games, reading comics, and taking long naps. 

Karma liked doing nothing. 

But nothing felt so lonely. 

The little red rebel undoubtedly began to bore himself to death.

Karma knew what having no human interaction for an extended time could do to a person. It made him desperate. He thought he enjoyed being by himself, yet whenever his companion, Nagisa, arrived at his house to send him schoolwork, he felt that fog of loneliness lift. 

And Karma broke his first smile. 

Those moments of small talk between the pair were mundane and peaceful. That was how he liked it. Everyone at school knew them as good friends yet they never crossed the invisible path. 

Nagisa knew Karma as confrontational and witty. Sometimes even charming. Yet he was reserved and quiet. That was the type of persona Karma displayed. 

Once he was allowed to return to school, he was glad to see Nagisa in the same class, knowing they will have those small moments where he can feel less lonely. 

As winter turned into spring and the new year began, Karma unknowingly crossed paths with someone new. 

Sweet, sleepy, and reserved. That was how she liked it. 

In academics, he knew her as lazy and uncaring; similar to himself, yet she lacked the prodigy-like intelligence he bore. 

In society, she was awkward and without social cues, judgemental yet knew all the right words to say to irritate him. 

He wanted to learn about her.

How can someone be so similar yet so different? 

When it was revealed that they both had been isolated from the world due to betrayal, the two found comfort in each other. It was a chance to rebuild each other and break away from the shell of loneliness.