39 | fire with fire time

───── ❝ don't wanna be here  ❞ ─────

"My feet hurt," Emei said and looked down, tapping her feet on the sidewalk

"Get on." She looked up and saw Karma's back facing her. 

She thought about it for a second, then climbed on, wrapping her arms around his neck. 

The redhead hoisted her on his back, hunching over a bit since it was her weight plus the pulling the wagon of prizes and snacks. 

"Ryu-chan will be okay. I'm going to my mom's place tonight, so I'll talk to him," Emei drawled with a yawn, her tone slightly bitter. 

"You sound like you don't wanna talk to him," Karma commented. 

"It's not that. I just don't like going to my mom's place in general. She has a new English fiance named William. And for a few months now, she's gotten full custody of his kid, Wyatt." Emei sighed in annoyance. 

"Yikes. Your family issues suck more than mine. My parents just travel all the time." Karma cheered for himself, making a small smile grow on Emei's lips. 

"Well, I've found ways to avoid them. I'm probably gonna get an ear-full for buying so much by that man. He tries too hard to dictate my life and force me to act a certain way. My mom's too head over heels for his charming looks and the opportunity for a new family with their son." 

Karma hummed, re-lifting Emei to a more sturdy position on his back. Her legs slowly kicked in front of him and she snuggled closer to him. 

"Are you cold?"

"You're warm."

The two young teens kept walking until they reached a quieter area. Karma trekked up a small hill and glanced around, making sure there were no people around.

"I'm still mad at you," Emei stated suddenly.

"Aw...Why?" Karma clicked his tongue and peeked at Emei on his back. 

"Because you didn't apologize for everything yet." She puffed. 

Karma silently and begrudgingly set her down, forcing Emei to sit on a bench near a street lamp. 

Karma held onto Emei's shoulders firmly as he lowered his head and released a series of apologies. He bashfully went through all the details of how he felt during the month with no contact with her. He confessed how he realized he was wrong and how he realized how badly he'd fucked up. 

Karma, one known for his calm composure, never felt more vulnerable.

"I shouldn't have reacted that way to your past. But, now you know more about me. So we're even. And...I'm sorry, again." He said bashfully, dropping his arms from Emei's figure. And this was the hardest thing he's done in his life.