44 | heart to heart time

───── ❝ think about it  ❞ ─────

The still and serene aura of a peaceful car ride came to a screeching halt (quite literally) as Takahiro dropped his daughter off for another day of school

She shivered as she was hit with a gust of wind, turning around to say her goodbyes. Her father's hands left the steering wheel as he looked at her pensively. 

"Something wrong?"

"I need to tell you something. I just haven't found the right time."

"Just tell me now," Emei shrugged as she held the strap of her bookbag. 

Her father sighed, ruffling up his jet-black hair before looking back at her. 

"I'm going to Osaka for a long-term business trip. One and a half years. And I've discussed this with your mother. If you want to come with me, she'll give custody of you up and we won't have to do those weekend shifts."

"Seriously?" Emei leaned in to hear her father better.

"Yes. I'll give you some time to think about it." Takahiro started the car again. "I'm selling the house around the week you graduate."

"Oh..." Emei breathed out a long sigh into her scarf. "I'll think about it."

November was maturity month.

Today wasn't so much of a work day; honestly, it was rare for the 3E bunch to get days off, but according to Koro-sensei, talks about their futures were of the utmost essential.

Each student took turns having a one-on-one conversation with him in the staff room after they filled out a sheet of paper about their 7-year plans. 

"A bureaucrat, eh? Interesting career choice," Koro-sensei tapped his head with a tentacle. 

Karma leaned back in the spinning chair with a dismissive expression. 

"Administrative duties seem rather, um, restrained for someone of your temperament.

"Don't you remember the last quake? Those shitty politicians were useless," Karma's nonchalant choice of words was typical, but he wasn't joking. When it comes to his future plans, he learned to take them seriously. 

Koro-sensei smiled at his statement. "I can't say you're wrong."

"The country should've been paralyzed. But everything kept functioning. And who do we have to thank? Behind every talking head at a podium is a puppetmaster bureaucrat pulling the string."

Karma clenched and unclenched his fist emphasizing the power a political job could hold. "Does that make sense, teach?"

"Y'know what? I see your point."

It seemed like everybody had an idea of what they wanted to do for their seven-year plan. 

Nakamura aims to be a diplomat. 

Chiba plans on shadowing his uncle (Emei's father) in architecture.

Terasaka isn't gonna be a puppet.

Kayano's going to pursue her career in acting (I ain't writing that episode. Let's just say they all found out about her real identity over summer). 

"Okay-dokay. Emei-chan, you're the last one to fill out your sheet. Let's see what you got."

The yellow creature sat tall in his chair, contrasting how Emei's slouched shoulders sank even more as she begrudgingly entered the staff's room. 

She tossed a crumpled paper on the desk. She'd spent the past hour writing and erasing, writing and erasing. She was completely clueless on where to even start on a seven-year plan. 

Koro-sensei 'nyyyrrr'ed as he straightened out the worksheet. 

"Why don't we start with possible high schools?" He beamed. "Are you staying here, or are you going to a different school?"

Emei kicked her feet back and forth in the chair. "I'm going to a different school."

"Really? Which one?"

"I don't know yet. It's in Osaka," Emei managed to croak out beneath her breath. "I'm moving."

"You're saying it like it's a bad thing."

"It's not. But I have no clue what I wanna be. I don't have any talents. I'm not that smart. I don't plan on being great..." Emei tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "I don't have a reasonable path to take."

"Hm. I'd have to disagree with you. You're sensible, a good student, and you do have skills that exceed others. You just don't see it," Koro-sensei placed one of his tentacles he uses as arms on her head, tapping it lightly. 

"You may lack the enthusiasm or the skills to show it, but you are a no one-trick pony. Your hobbies that surpass your listlessness haven't been talked about because you don't see the value of your skills. 

You can knit and sew, don't think I haven't seen you sell keychains and stuffed animals to your peers, I secretly bought one while you weren't looking!" Koro-sensei held up a mini-crocheted version of him with sparkling eyes. 

"So that's where that one went—" Emei muttered in complete shock. "Nakamura was kinda annoyed at me for delaying her order y'know."

"I couldn't resist. I also can't help but notice the instruments in your room. Say, did you pick up music during the year you spent alone in ankle bracelets?"

"I don't play guitar anymore, sir. It hurt my fingers and having to swap between my mom and dad's house, I couldn't practice consistently."

"You're making excuses my good student!" Koro-sensei huffed. "You're denying your talents because you're wrongly believing your life is restricting you from enhancing them."

"Koro-sensei...Karma told me I should be a mattress tester." Emei deadpanned.

Her teacher mentally face palmed. 

"That boy surely worded things simply, but I can't say it's a bad idea."

"You want me to become a mattress tester?" Emei quirked a brow skeptically. 

"Have you considered the lengths you go to to get a perfect night of sleep?" Koro-sensei pointed a tentacle up. "That silk pillowcase you gave me a while back worked wonders on my nightly 8 hours!"

"Well, silk fabric feels nice, and it's better for your skin." Emei shrugged. "You should also try buying silk pajamas. Too bad those aren't as common here. But you can fly to the States in a flash right?"

"I see you've also done your homework on dermatology. That could be another possible career path." Koro-sensei nodded his head approvingly. "What are your thoughts on being a saleswoman, a business owner, a CEO?"

"I think it's too much work."

"Just think about it~ nryfufufufufu."