the pianist

summary: kartik and naira during covid

*****

kartik sighed and switched off the TV. he had seen the same headlines 10 times. the stores were closed except the grocery store. offices were shut. schools and colleges were shut. no one was allowed to go out.

if necessary, wear a mask. "damn this covid." he stood up and went inside the kitchen. he opened some cupboards and saw a packet of instant noodles there. for tonight he made himself some noodles and went to bed.

not like he actually slept. he was in his own la-la land. his neighbour had moved out 2 months ago and now there were new people living. the building's walls so thin that even the lowest sound you make is shared by the person next door.

he decided to go grocery shopping for atleast 2 months tomorrow. he slept thinking whether he should talk to his new neighbour or not.

the next morning he decided to greet his neighbour. due to this covid, he couldn't get out from his house.

he did his normal household chores, took a bath and sat infront if his TV. while watching, he heard the most melodious, beautiful and peaceful/ calm tone of the piano. he recognised the tone was from 'Falling' by Harry Styles.

he hummed along the tuned, "wow." he breathed out as the tuned finished.

it became a daily routine for kartik to hear the piano tunes from 7 PM to 9 PM. he was so shy to even talk to his neighbour.

one morning he woke up at 7 AM, did some workout, took a bath, had his lunch. it was 10 AM by then. he studied till 2 PM. with much courage he tore a piece of laker from his notepad and wrote,

Hello neighbour,

I'm Kartik Goenka, a 21 year old law student. for a few days i heard you piano tunes and i absolutely admire them. i don't know if you take fan requests ;) but i'd love if you'll play perfect by ed Sheeran on the piano.

i will wish we could meet face-to-face someday. hope you stay safe.

yours sincerely kartik.

he finished writing the letter, went the lobby, he was hesitant at first but slipped the letter inside the neighbour's door.

it was 6 PM, he studied till 12 AM and then slept. the next morning when he woke up he made himself a cup of tea and sat infront of the TV. as soon as he turned on the TV, he heard a familiar tune. that was perfect by ed Sheeran. he switched off the TV and quietly while sipping his tea, listened to the melody.

after it finished he smiled and kept the cup to wash. he went to the door and saw a letter lying there.

hello kartik,

I'm Naira a 21 year old music student. i wish to be a singer one day and write my own songs. to improvise myself i play the released tunes. i'm glad you loved my tunes. my old neighbours weren't that nice and didn't appreciate me much. that's why i shifted and moreover my collage was closer from here but now due to this covid thing, can't even step out of our houses.

i'll take your request. i felt nice when i played perfect. i hope you stay safe. take care.

yours sincerely Naira.

a smile immediately came on his face as he read the letter. the letter thing continued for weeks.

it was Monday, later that day when it was time for Naira to play her tunes kartik gained some courage and said, "hi." loud enough for naira to hear.