Third Presidents a Charm

"You've still got the disks." Tommy glared. Those damn disks. I can remember it like yesterday, Tommy running back to the van, Dream and Wil fighting. For Tommy those disks are the only things that don't change, the same songs he can always go back to as the world grows to hate him. "I can't do this, until that's over. And Dream, we're not done."

"Your disks are here right now actually." Dream set down an ender chest and pulled out the two disks. People started to circle around him, weapons in hand. Whether it was to protect him or to fight him, tensions rose quickly. He put the disks away. I turned to see Tommy, his face dropped with grief and longing. He shook it off quickly and got back on topic.

"But I've got unfinished business." Tommy looked at Wilbur. "So Wilbur. After all, you've been through. I know you've had your points where we thought- when you go on about your Chekhov's gun. I know that that was all just talk now. And finally you did this! WELCOME TO L'MANBURG! And there wasn't a single explosion," the voices mocked Tommy, sneering at his words and despising his emotion. How dare he be content with peace. Blood blood blood war war war kill!! "Wilbur take your place on the podium."

My heart dropped as I turned to Wilbur. He was reclined back in his seat, glasses so smudged I couldn't see his eyes. But I could read his body language well enough. His legs were stretched out in front him, his jacket was dirty, holes blown in it from the battle. His chest raised with a deep breath before he sat forward. "I have something to say." He stood up, his posture bad as ever slumped and uncaring, and made his way to the podium. "Look. I'll keep this brief. Tommy your only decree as president happened to be one of the best. Welcome to L'manburg!" He did not in fact keep it brief, he ordered the takedown of the obsidian flag. Then listed off the colors of the L'manburg flag. Twice. He cut off the cheering. "However. I also cannot be your president."

"Anarchy. Whew." Techno cheered in his monotone drawl. The voices in my head echoed him.

"Techno you've taught me a lot." Everyone turned to Wilbur. "You've taught me that Government is not the way to go-"

"Huh?" Techno looked like the definition of confused. Even under the mask his mouth was scrunched in confusion.

"-And I agree!" Wilbur smiled. "Everything you've said, I've agreed with! And to be honest and whilst I can't be here to judge while other people's governments are ran. It would be hypocritical of me to run a country. So I'm going to hand off the presidency to someone. I need to hand off the presidency. And this will be the last time. It's important to know how to say goodbye to something, to my country, to my L'manburg. And there's only one other person who could possibly be the president. Tubbo I want you to come up to the stage."

Cheers rose from the crowd. I almost cheered myself. But something felt off, I managed a smile for Tubbo as he walked by. And that was it. We cracked jokes about him having flashbacks on the podium. Wilbur clapped him on the back and congratulated him. I watched as Wilbur walked off the stage, the reflection left his glasses and I could see the plot in his eyes. The calculation that never left. But there was more, hope? Anxiety? I couldn't tell before he caught me looking. He walked past and placed a hand on my shoulder. I leaned into the touch before he walked to his seat. My ears rang too loud for me to listen to Tubbos speech. Why was Wilbur acting strange, I thought I had been being dramatic. But he had never been one to willingly touch me. Small hugs and shoulder pats reserved for necessary actions, restraints, or Tommy. Tommy. I glanced at Tommy as the crowd started to cheer, he was engaged as could be in Tubbos speech. I think he was making metaphors. I hadn't seen Tommy so relaxed. So peaceful. He clapped as Tubbo finished.

Wilbur called for a toast, he was moving. I watched him go before someone grabbed my arm and handed me a bottle. Tommy cheered next to me, toasting the new president before taking a deep drink of whatever was in his bottle. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled back, a goofy grin on his face, before turning back to Tubbos speech. We cheered and laughed as Tubbo spoke awkwardly.

———————-
Wow. Commitment issues much? Senior year! Concerts and sports and injuries and homework and competitions and prom and stress and I'm going off script for the rest of this story.