XIV. Hockey Players Are Goons

Chapter 14,
     Hockey Players Are Goons
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We had to practice with the JV team, apparently they need to get faster and we're the only team that is quite fast. "

         It was a sunny day, which meant that track practice would be held outside

    It was a sunny day, which meant that track practice would be held outside. I wasn't sure if I was ready to have sore muscles, but I knew that skipping practice wasn't an option, especially if I'm on a team. I grabbed my sports duffle bag and walked out of my dorm, I jogged down the stairs before running out of the school to the track.
  Track was really the only thing that was keeping me sane, it wasn't complicated and I was sure about my feelings for it. The best part however, is there's no Guy Germaine, no Harmony and Freya questioning my feelings, and no Rick or Cole.

   "Alright Varsity, we have a few guests who will be joining our practice today. I'm sure you're all familiar with the new JV team." Karla smiled but I wanted to drop dead, my only safe space has been invaded.

   As the JV team walked over to us, they were wearing their hockey jerseys but with shorts, it was going to be hot today so that was a good choice. I was wearing black shorts with my jersey as well, I had my hair in a high ponytail with my running shoes.
   I kept my eyes on the ground, I wasn't in the mood to make eye contact with anyone, and by anyone I meant him. I didn't want to feel that tingly feeling that I have been feeling whenever I'm near him, I'm sick of it.

  "Coach Orion explained that you guys have been quite slow during practice, so we're going to help you get more stamina and agility." Karla explained to the hockey team as they stood looking around.

   I knew that if they were going to need help with stamina, it wasn't going to be me, I run out of breath not so easily but I lose it mid way of running. However agility, I was fast, and I knew that Karla was going to call me for help.
  Why would their coach suggest the track team for help and not the Varsity hockey team, they're fast, brutal, and they don't run out of breath so quickly.

  "Amara, and Leslie, you two are going to help lead the stretches and work outs before we even think about getting on the track." Karla shouted, Leslie and I were pretty good friends so I didn't mind being by her side and doing the stretches.

   As we stretched our limbs and made sure we didn't pull any muscles, I looked around to make sure everyone was doing the stretches correctly. I looked at Guy for a split second and then turned my head away, I needed to focus on my speed and not a boy.

  "Alright since we're all stretched out, let's start with agility. Who is the fastest person on your team?" Karla asked the JV team, to which they all pointed to a boy who was eye banging Leslie.

  "Alright Luis, you're fast on the rink but let's see how fast you are on the track. Delcour, get your ass on that track and show them how we do it." Karla smiled, I returned the smile and walked to the track.

  I've seen Luis skate before, he's faster than the speed of light but he has trouble stopping, he's never seen me run before. As I got down and began my down start, I took a deep breath and kept my eyes ahead, nothing else was there. It was just me and the track.
  Not even Luis was there, I was in a state of mind where everything will run smoothly as long as I kept my head in the game.

  "Go!" Karla screamed, I began to run, I started off by Luis's side before picking up the speed and running down the track.

   I could run circles around the JV team, and after seeing my run, they knew I could run circles around them as well. I'll brag about it too, but not until they get better with everything else.

"So how was your track practice, anything exciting happened?" Freya questioned as we met up in the middle of the hallway, she had cheer practice today as well.

  " We had to practice with the JV team, apparently they need to get faster and we're the only team that is quite fast. " I spoke as we began to walk down the hall, I was all sweaty and tired.

  "That must've been difficult, did you kick ass?" Freya asked, I looked at her and nodded my head with a smile.

  "Maybe we should go to the ice rink, just to see what they do for practice." I suggested, Freya was alright with the idea and we walked to the ice rink.

  Sure enough, JV was there doing their practice, and they looked like they were being ran ragged. Julie stopped skating and threw up in the penalty box, which was not a good sight.
  The rest of the team kept skating but they looked like a sweaty, tired, and sore mess. I sort of felt bad for them.

  "Their coach is running them into the ground, should we try to do something to give them a break?" Freya asked as we stared through the plexiglass, I only shrugged my shoulders before walking through the door.

  "Are you two girls supposed to be here?" Coach Orion questioned as he skated over to us, which was a little intimidating because he's a mean man.

  "My friend here, she lost her contacts and she was here last night. Is it alright if we look for it?" I lied, Orion seemed to be thinking about the question before sighing.

  "JV, help these two girls look for their eye contacts. After that, you're allowed to leave." Coach Orion shouted before skating away to the locker room.

  "Did you actually lose your contacts?" Dwayne asked as everyone began to search for the fake eye contacts.

  "No, and y'all don't have to look for anything. We just felt bad that you guys were being treated like soldiers getting ready for war." Freya admitted, everyone smiled as they thanked us for getting them out of practice early.

  I grabbed Freya's hand and we walked out of the ice rink, I used to think Hockey players were goons who didn't care about jack shit. I was wrong.