XXXVII. Don't Get Your Hopes Up

Chapter 37,
  Don't Get Your Hopes Up
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Varsity's going to kick our ass during the JV versus Varsity showdown, what the actually hell are we going to do? I vote we forfeit. "

     I was sitting at the quad, rethinking my life choices, I hated feeling this way

     I was sitting at the quad, rethinking my life choices, I hated feeling this way. There were girls who also had their eye on Guy, but I was the only one that caught his eye. I knew that I was making a big mistake but I wasn't ready just yet.
  I felt like I was leading him on when I wasn't trying to.

  "Stop moping around Mara, you can't keep blaming yourself for not being ready." Freya comforted as she sat down beside me, with a bowl filled with grapes.

  It was kind of hard not to blame myself, I knew someone had to be angry with me, so I was just trying to prepare myself for that.

  "The ducks are coming to hang with us, I think this would be a good moment to start talking to Guy again." Harmony stated which caught me a little off guard, I wasn't ready to even think about Guy.

  I didn't argue with her though, I knew I was just going to seem immature or childish for not talking to Guy. It was time for me to speak to him anyways, I needed to apologize for my behavior and give him a proper explanation.

  "We're meeting them at the ice rink, so let's head there now." Freya commented as we got up from the grass, I sighed and nodded my head.

  As we walked into the school, I thought of all the things that I should say. Many people think I'm being dramatic for not liking Guy back because I was afraid, I didn't want to say anything. I wanted to address the situation, but I kept quiet.
  I learned how to keep my mouth shut and listen to when I need to defend myself, that's what hanging with Guy taught me. It's more effective when you don't argue with people, if you know what you're doing is right, then don't let people to tell you you're wrong.

Once we got to the ice rink, my eyes immediately scanned the area, I was only trying to look for him. Guy was standing beside Connie, she seemed to be excited to us. They would have made a better couple than me and him.

  "So how's the confidence for the Varsity versus JV team showdown?" I asked, breaking the small silence we had.

  " Varsity's going to kick our ass during the JV versus Varsity showdown, what the actually hell are we going to do? I vote we forfeit. " Goldberg stated as he complained, quitting wasn't an option even if it seemed like it was.

  "Y'all just need a miracle, and I think I can help you with that. Consider it as a thank you gift from us to you, for saving our asses from getting our scholarships revoked." I smiled before moving away from the door.

  The door swung open and there stood Dean Portman, the other bash brother, the missing piece this team needed. If they had any shot of winning the showdown, it was going to be because they have Portman. Everyone cheered as they rushed to hug him.

  "Thanks Amara, if it wasn't for you or Bombay, i don't think I would have been here." Dean smiled, I smiled back and chuckled.

  After that, we skated around the ice rink, while Dwayne tried to catch us with his rope. This was fun, it felt like the trouble I went through this year, never happened. Until I found myself skating beside Guy, which made me stare a little bit.

  "You don't have to say a word, Luis told me all about why you feel this way. I'm sorry if I made it seem like I was ever pressuring you to date me, Mars." Guy began as he skated in front of me, placing his hands on my shoulders.

  I didn't know what to say to him, I was expecting him to get mad but he was calm. I wanted to let him in, allow my walls to come down, but I needed to have clarity, that he felt the same. I shouldn't get my hopes up, but they were hitting the ceiling.