001

Chapter 1
The prologue

Ivy Hotchner knew just how much her dad loved his job and for as long as she could remember she'd always wanted to be exactly like him not only because of the job he dedicated his whole life towards but also because he was the only constant she ever had in her life, her mom left when Ivy was little because she couldn't handle how Aaron constantly continued to put his job above her. Seventeen years have passed by since she disappeared that night, not one phone call, text or explanation as to why she did what she did but Aaron made up for it in abundance, he continuously made sure Ivy had everything she could have ever asked for and once Hayley came into their lives she raised Ivy as if she were her own.

Ivy graduated high school earlier then all of her other classmates, she always felt different to her friends growing up, she was a lot smarter then most and it always made her feel self conscious but it wasn't just her intelligence that caused people to treat her differently it was also the fact that her dad was a part of the FBI. The speed in which she was advancing began to increase as she spent most of her days studying at home, it got to a point where she was offered an early enrollment at the university she'd been planning towards as long as she took her graduation tests earlier.

She had always known what she wanted to do with her life and that plan never changed. Her dad spent his whole life working for the BAU, he spent most of her childhood away on jobs working multiple days on end and as a child it confused her not understanding why her dad couldn't be like other peoples, why he could never be home as much as they where but the more she grew the more she realized just how much of his life he sacrificed in order to keep people safe, keep her safe. Ivy watched on for years as he continued to get call after call about murders and serial killers and it made her question just how many of them are out there, how some people would simply pass one by on the street and never know just how close they had been with evil. Once she had her mind set on what she wanted to do in life there was nothing stopping her from achieving it especially after Harvard offered her an early placement.

Ivy spent three years away at university, she returned every Christmas, Easter and Summer. Everything in her life was beginning to fall into place, she had a boyfriend, she was becoming an intern over the summer break in the BAU alongside her dad and for the first time she finally felt as though her life was going somewhere. Austin and Ivy had been dating on and off for over a year, she had no reason to doubt his intention's but as the relationship grew cracks began to show.

"You can only see them when I'm with you babe I've told you this... I'm just trying to protect you"

"I don't understand their my friends and when they asked me to go, you told me it was fine" she questioned.

"Now I'm telling you different... your not going, what if something happens and I'm not with you... it's for your own safety"

Conversation's like that led her to believe he was a controlling person but in some weird way no matter what he'd done she couldn't shake off the feelings she had for him.

One night a month before the summer break began they both decided to go out, one of her friends where throwing a party at their parents house. Most of the night passed by quickly, they both mingled with friends, drank some alcohol and at some point Austin had left to use the bathroom. Ivy wandered over to a group of her friends that stood around the kitchen counter.

"Are you going home over the break Ivy" a boy from one of her classes asked as she nodded slightly.

"Yeah I am... to be honest I'm really looking forward to it, I feel like I haven't seen them all in ages" she smiled.