Truth Delayed is Justice Denied

Even from Hange's office, you could hear the cries of the visitors.

The sun hasn't even risen yet and refugees have started to gather in the satellite town of Hermina. You heard the framework of the plan from Levi last night; a plan to capture Reiner and Bertholdt the soonest after they evacuated everyone due to a feigned breach.

Only for the fake breach to become an actual trespass.

You had a night to gather everything you needed: Miche's location, your drafts, mirror, a flair... all of them but one.

Oh, you have to snitch Erwin's telescope as well. Damn, you're busy as it is.

"It's weird," Hange's voice popped on the door, their lamp glowed on the gap of its hinges when they entered.

The footsteps suggested that Hange wasn't alone.

That's odd, you thought they'd be gone preparing for the capture now. Why are they still here?

You? Oh, you're not here to loot Hange's office. If you were being technically correct, you wouldn't use the word 'loot' because that would suggest that you're stealing something. In this case, you were only taking what is yours to begin with. That, being Marco's gear.

Well, it was Marco's gear which you modified and gave to the boy.

But it counts as yours. Again.

"I thought there would be more people to come." Hange's voice snapped you from your thoughts and brought you back to the reality of being squished behind Hange's door. You swore , if Moblit were to make it out of the Shiganshina showdown, you'd be down to offer help sorting things for your captain.

Hange just has too much stuff and not the good kind.

"The Garrison is in motion to investigate." Erwin's voice responded to your captain's comment, "There could be an element we are missing."

"Maybe we should talk to her again?" Did they mean you? "You know, Phoebe might be leaving out some details."

Oh, you did, but you're not gonna tell them that.

"I believe she already said everything she knows." Erwin said. You would have laughed. If you told them everything, your nails are the least of your concerns. You're gonna sound like Pastor Nick but crazier, and you might not even have your arms or skin next week. Who knows?

"And even if she did, I don't think she's going to tell us."

"Eh— why?" Hange's tone lowered to suspicion. "You think she's out to betray us?"

"No, no." Maybe it's too early to say, but Erwin answering on the negative made you smile. Really? He trusts you that much? You got curious how Erwin sees you now that you have this chance.

Rustling of fabrics and the yelp of the chairs against the floor filled the room. You cautiously adjusted your crutch, careful not to make any noise.

"I happen to think that our ignorance causes us to see her, an outsider, in a negative light. It isn't her fault that she thinks and acts differently, given she wasn't raised within these walls."

"But what if Johnson actually knows more than what she's telling us? Outside the walls— that would be believable, but a different... universe...maybe it's figurative?"

There was a chuckle. Erwin's.

Then a thump; a skin-to skin sound muffled by fabric.

"Then how do we explain the things she brought with her? I cannot confirm if she's telling the truth, but it's the people's bias that puts her in a bad light."