The Outsider

"Did you know Reiner's secret?"

"No, I overheard them too. That's why I got to pull you out."

"But that, that doesn't make sense," he started, licking his lips, his eyes searching his own memory to back up his arguments. He looked at the modified gears you wrapped with your jacket  to avoid scrutiny. "You modified your gear and made one even though mine is perfectly working. You acted like you know where to go and hide when you ran away. You faked a Garrison cloak—"

"You didn't worry about Eren getting eaten or Armin as if you know he be eaten..."

He breathe deeply, while you gasped for air. The keen piece of shit...

"You knew that was going to happen, isn't it?"

***

There are millions of ways this could've played out, if Marco lived to tip the military.

"Marco, listen to how you sound right now."

"Unless you're like them—"

"If I'm a titan in disguise, do you think I'll save you?"

Good thing though, he dived straight to the most likely route.

"Then what are you?" You could hear the pointing of fingers in his tone. "You acted as if you knew everything— as if... as if Armin will get saved, o-or that E-Eren will be—"

"I didn't know Eren can shift. I didn't know if Armin could save himself, but those two are more than capable." Your tone sounded casual and certain, and that was a good thing.

"Eren didn't graduate on top of the list if he couldn't handle a single titan— he survived Shiganshina massacre. Armin? Armin is smart. You know that."

He was not having it, it's so patent in his eyes.

"Armin can plan ahead remember? Remember when we saved Christa from the bandits in the mountains? He planned, we executed. He's smart and he values his life. He wouldn't die from a single titan."

"But he froze—"

"But he got through it. He's not someone who loses his shit and freeze on the spot because if he did that, he's finished." Yeah, Febe, you're not one to talk...

"You did though, didn't you?" 

"I didn't mean to freeze..." He murmured under his breath. Under normal circumstances, you wouldn't use that time when he froze about making decisions between Eren and Thomas and  the three honorary Marleyans against him, but you too, were running out of patience. 

You sighed to stretch your patience an inch more, patting him in the shoulder for damage control.

"It was scary, I know. But there's one thing only both of us can do." You inhaled deeply, mentally preparing yourself for another round of pain. Really, you don't think you can take anymore...

Your stomach grumbled.

"As I thought, I should tell—"

"No."

"Why not—"

"And then what?" You spat, frustration laced your words.  "Let me tell you what's gonna happen to you Marco." You were hissing now, that inch of patience you just sighed just snapped. "Telling the higher ups will get you arrested, then tortured for information and eventually get executed even though you did what you think is right."

"But Phoebe, this is something that will help the humanity's victory over the titans! If they knew about them, they could prevent further unnecessary killings!"