Tattletale

"So you let us live, you can have the blueprints." Your tone was braver now, more demanding, more hopeful.

"You kill us, blueprints are gone."

"Tell your titan friends to go away— you go away, and I'll signal Levi to let you know where the blueprints are. You've already done what you needed to do— you don't need to kill anymore from this island right now do you? There's nothing to gain from killing us, BUT I can give you something..." Your voice sounded strangled.

"...if only you let us live."

A few seconds after, he stood up, commanding his minions to follow him.

And they walked.

Far.

Farther.

And you fired the flair.

Soon after, Levi fired it too.

***

You felt like a newborn breathing his first air, totally oblivious of how many minutes had passed that you'd blankly looked ahead.

Until Miche gently squeezed your hand, making you aware of your surroundings again.

Right. It isn't the time to space out. If Levi only brought Marco's gear to trade, Zeke will know soon that you lied in regard to the blueprints.

So before that, you need to get to the horses and—

"Phoebe," Miche had to hold you before he almost fell to himself, standing on one foot.

"Hold on to me—" He said, "Your knees are failing you."

"We don't have much time, sir." You said, trying to stand up from the slump you've made on the floor. Your knees buckled, your pants wet, your arms desperate for rest.

"Sir Levi doesn't have blueprints in there, I bluffed the titan..." You now realized how shaky your voice had gotten.

Miche remained silent. You looked where his eyes were set. The distant galloping sound echoed in the wide, shadeless field, revealing a figure at the distance.

"Petra." He sniffed the air, and said her name.

"You two!" She called. No second was wasted when she alighted from her horse, and immediately tended to Miche's broken leg.

"We lost Braun. There were titans and a monkey that... talks ." Miche told her even before she could kneel. She briefly regarded him with a look and began tending to his leg. Your eyes searched for... for Levi. You didn't want to admit it, but somehow, your eyes did. And even if he wasn't able to come, you won't be disappointed. You knew the man must've been busy. You won't ask—

"Where's Levi?" And your neck snapped turning to Miche's direction, it hurt. Miche just asked what you were repressing at the tip of your tongue, and asking it so directly didn't make it all the better for your... chest. Feelings— whatever it's called. He glanced at you like you shared a dirty little secret, like he overheard something so scandalous.

"Asking for a friend." You couldn't help but raise an eyebrow.

You nodded and pursed your lips. Of course. You basically begged him to get on with your plan and had to make him choose between your selfish whims and his duty. Checking your well-being after giving in to your selfish request is the last in the list of his priorities right now.