The Other Side of the Door

If I want to keep her safe, then where does my loyalty fall into?

"You give yourself too much credit, Miche."

I could feel frigid waters being poured at the top of my head. If we're in the doorstep of the right room, then what in the devil's cock is Phoebe doing inside the men's comfort room?

I knew Erwin had to stop me when I held my hand on the knob. For which is better? Being caught in a place you shouldn't be, or hearing something no one should hear?

"And besides, Lev— Sir Levi chose to go after us."

If she says something to endanger herself— something to incriminate herself, then there's nothing I can do.

"Levi," Erwin mumbled. He knew then that Phoebe was hiding at the back of Hange's door, and he told her everything she wanted to hear.

And now he's asking me the same thing he asked in his office. The one I couldn't bring myself to answer despite attempts.

"To whom is your loyalty? To whom are you betting your life for?"

That I was sure, but not anymore.

***

"I'm not going to hurt you, so please tell me one thing now."

"It was a coincidence, Miche. It was all bluff. Sir Levi wasn't waiting for us, it was all luck. There was no draft and there was no gear. I just happen to see you in Ragako and I also happen to have more balls than you and your dead horse combined."

This. This one right here ma'am, is what you should've said. Defensive and deceitful, but safe. Well, safer. Sadly it's one of those times where you could only think of the perfect response days after the shootout.

Now that Miche sniffed your bull from a mile away, it's curious why he never attempted to rat you like every soldier would've. You mean, you have intel, then why is it that he's not trying to take it from you? It's been days!

Maybe he sincerely saw that you never mean harm...? Maybe he took pity on you? Or because he felt indebted after you jumped into action to save his ass?

You bit your lip, your foot set a quick pace of tapping the cold, tiled floor of the men's bathroom as you leaned forward to their cold, smoothly polished bathroom counter.

Maybe that's why you felt the urge to shit; the coldness of the counter cut through your thin, shapeless hospital gown, making its way to your stomach.

Wait, if you say to Miche that you happen to see him in Ragako, won't he get suspicious that you were suddenly in the mood to stroll along the rolling fields of the south wall with such extensive injuries?

Guess not so perfect after all.

"I'm just more sensitive to scents than most people. Nothing special, really." You heard Miche's zipper zip, before the sound of flushing water.

"Huh?" You lost track of the conversation. What were you talking about again? You're sure you asked him about his hyperosmia...

"What do you get by sniffing people when you meet them? Sorry if I'm being rude but there's only one other animal I know that does that."

"I don't hear that often." Miche replied just when the cubicle door opened, revealing his limping form. You walked towards him to assist his stance, avoiding his unwashed hands at all cost.