Three.

I needed a breather after that meeting, walking outside and standing on the street with my arms crossed. It wasn't exactly summer yet, mid spring. But it was freezing cold with the breeze. So much better than the stuffy office though. I'd felt like I was suffocating in the back corner of the room. I knew he only wanted me there so I'd be half listening to the goings on. He was hoping to change my mind, it had been like this since I turned 20. I was still resisting.

"Its so warm in there." I looked up at the source of the voice as I took in deep breathes, trying to halt the panic attack before it had a chance to start. "Your the song writer right? That's what Marg said after you left earlier."  He was cute. Not cute like the other guys dad hired. He was more casual. He looked friendlier, less fuck boy vibe. 

"Yeah. Sorry I was in the middle of something when you guys knocked." 

"No don't worry I get it. When you're in the zone you just want to flow with it right?" I nodded. "You look confused." 

"Sorry." I turned and looked at the cars driving past the street. "You don't look like the normal kind of guys Mr. Clifford hires is all." 

"What's that supposed to mean?" He chuckled. 

"He just has a certain image he holds for the brand." 

"Oh, hot fuck boys." I nodded and pressed my lips together. 

"Precisely." 

"Not your thing?" I scoffed and he laughed. 

"I'm just here to write. Nothing else beyond that is my business." I gave a tiny smile and he held his hand out. 

"I'm Isaac." 

"Erica." I shook his hand. 

"What are you doing now Erica?" 

"Standing." He laughed. "Probably my job." 

"Writing?" 

"Yep." 

"What are you working on right now?" I raised an eyebrow at him and he chuckled. "You're very reserved." 

"That happens when you have a lot to be reserved about." 

"Ooo. Secrets. Spill the tea." I grimaced and he chuckled. 

"I am not telling you a word." I rubbed my arms and sighed. "I should go back." 

"Thank god. I didn't want to be rude but it's so cold out here." 

I turned on my heels and walked back into the building, with him hot on my heels. 

"You don't have to be polite with me you know, I'm no one special." 

"Hey, You are. Maybe if I sweet talk you into being my friend you'll slip me your best pieces of work." 

"That's not how it works." I raised an eyebrow and he smiled. "I'm not looking to make friends here Isaac." 

"Why not?" 

"Because I work better when I'm alone." 

"You're intriguing."  I stepped into the elevator and he walked in with me, standing on the opposite side. 

"I've heard that before." 

"What are you doing Friday night?" I turned and crossed my arms. "There's a party, maybe you can bring some friends? Purely so I know you're not a weirdo who doesn't have them." 

"I have friends." I turned back around. "Besides, I don't do parties." 

"You're making it hard to befriend." I let out a tiny chuckle under my breath and he looked at me. "Did you just laugh?" 

"No." 

"You did." He smiled as the elevator doors opened. "I'll see you around Erica. Let me know if you want the details for that party." 

"I don't." 

"Eh, you might change your mind." He leaned over the front desk and scribbled something down before handing it to me. "Text me. Even if it's not about the party." He walked away, his stride showing confidence, like he was proud of himself. I looked at the number in my hand and back at his back as he continued walking down the hallway to the studio where I'd left earlier. 

"I see you met Isaac." I turned around and stuffed the paper into my pocket.

"I did." I crossed my arms. "Don't start." I walked around him and he chuckled. 

"I'm not starting anything." He followed me as he walked back behind me. 

Please come pick me up. I need saving lol. 

Where? 

The office. 

Give me 5 and I'll be there.

I smiled at the thought of finally getting to spend an afternoon with Brooke. I'd missed her. It had been forever. 

"Brooke is picking me up." 

"When?" 

"Now." I put my guitar on its stand and gathered my papers, pushing them into my bag. 

"Erica." 

"No dad, I can see what you're trying to pull. He was out there for a reason and was told I'm a nice girl who doesn't have any friends right?" He looked at me. "Right??"

"I mean, I didn't say those words." 

"I knew it." I scoffed and pulled my bag onto my shoulder. "I'm going out with one of my friends. I might go to that party with my friend. Because I have Brooke. I'm not alone dad. Stop thinking I am just because there isn't any guys involved in my life right now." 

"You can only use 'right now' if its short term Erica." 

"Oh my god what is with this whole me having to date thing?" 

"It's been 4 years Ez." 

"And I'm 23. What about it?" 

"It's not normal for a girl your age to be so obsessed with work." 

"YOU-" I stopped and laughed slightly before taking a deep breathe. Not worth it Erica. "I'll see you next week. I'm taking the rest of the week and the weekend off and I'm going to stay with Brooke. I can't carry on this same conversation with you." I walked out through the door, leaving him standing in the office. 

Why was this always such a major issue with him? There was nothing wrong with working on yourself whilst I was young. I wouldn't be able to di it forever and I'd rather work myself out before I got involved with another guy. That way if he even tries to control me like Dickhead Number One did, I'd know it.