Thirty one

I stood in the lift, holding 2 cups of coffee. I'd checked his calendar for this afternoon as I waited for our drinks. Nothing. His afternoon was clear. Thankfully. The doors open and I could see his door open slightly. Everything looked normal. 

Levi's head appeared from my office and I winked at him with a small smile as I walked down the hallway. I could feel his eyes on me as I did. He could keep them there if he wanted. I looked good today. I felt good. I felt strong again. Powerful. 

"Hi Margot." 

"Hi Erica. Nice outfit." 

"Thanks. I just threw it together. Listen Um-" I brought my voice. "I'm about to break some major news to him. Can you make sure people stay away in case he gets a little shouty? I don't think he will but just incase." 

"Oh coffee. It's really important huh?" 

"I have a boyfriend. I don't think he's going to be too happy about who it is though." 

"Who is it?" 

"Well that would be telling." I winked at her and turned walking backwards at his door, pushing it open with my bum. Here we go. Deep breathes. Stay calm. It's no big deal. 

"Erica." I sighed and pushed his door closed. "Well at least you look appropriate for the meeting this afternoon." 

"And I'm early, AND I bring coffee!" He looked at my bright smile as I slowly walked over and timidly put it on the desk, pushing it a little bit. And a little more. And more still when he didn't take it. 

"Where have you been?" 

"This morning? With Brooke. She came over whilst I was getting ready at home. Mum saw her so I have proof!" I sat down in the seat. "Drink your coffee." He rolled his eyes dramatically. 

"You want to talk about the office renovations yet?" 

"Soon." I nodded. "Let me get most of this album stuff ticked off and then I can add it to my list. I'm already sorting your birthday show out so that's taking priority right now. Is the guest list the same as normal do you know or am I best asking Margot?" 

"Margot will have the full list. Why?" 

"I just want to know." I smiled. "Dad?" 

"Yes angel." 

"I need your full attention." He looked up from his paper work and sighed, putting his pen down and sitting back, taking his coffee in his hands. "After your birthday, I want to put the album out." 

"Erica." He smiled brightly and I knew that had made his day. "After my birthday? That's specific." 

"Well I've got a lot to do. I don't need that as well. I mean I've recorded a lot anyway but-" 

"You've recorded stuff already? So you've been thinking about it a while?" 

"About a month yeah." I nodded and took a sip of my coffee. "I'll let you hear some of the stuff eventually. I just want to get it all together first though."  He nodded. 

"That's amazing news Angel. I'm really proud of you. Do you have a date in mind? I can start sorting it." 

"I know it's soon but I was thinking like a few days after your party?"

"Okay. I can make it work. Most of it's done, I'll just have to put everything on hold. This is my top priority right now-"

"There's something else dad. The coffee reason." I cut him off. I needed to do this now whilst he was in a good mood.

"I knew there was a reason you brought me coffee at 2pm. You never bring coffee in unless it's your own." 

"I was with a guy last night. I've been seeing him, behind the scenes for a little while, anyway we're officially in a relationship now. Boyfriend, girlfriends kind of thing." 

"What?" His eyes went wide and he sat up. "Since when?" 

"He first kissed me like 5 weeks ago or something like that. It's been a little back and forth but you were right that's where I was the other day when my phone was off. We had a last minute date day. We didn't go far. I was still in the city centre we went to a movie and the park and got dinner and then just hung out. It wasn't anything super serious until then and then I couldn't sleep last night and I just subconsciously drove to his. I don't know why." 

"Who is it Angel?" I looked up and stared at him. His face was soft. He looked happy for me. Content even.

"Um-" I adjusted in my seat. "Before I tell you. You need to know that I sung in front of him a few weeks back and he's the reason my confidence is back. I really really like him. It's not a fling. He didn't know who you were to me either when all this started so it's not about the mon-"

"Erica. Spit it out." 

"It's Levi." 

"LEVI." I looked back at the door then back at him. "FROM YOUR GROUP?" 

"Dad. Please."

"Erica. Are you joking? Tell me you're joking." I took a deep breath as he stood up, slamming his coffee onto the table. You're fine Ez. It's just the initial reaction. "Erica." 

"I'm not joking dad. The way I feel for him is way more than what I ever felt for Jason." 

"Jason wasn't one of your fucking staff members." I bowed my head looking at the cup. 

"You promised dad. You told me in the car a few weeks ago when I first played you that song. You told me if I liked someone we worked with it was fine, whatever no big deal. And yet here you are making it into a big deal. This is why I don't tell you things. I even had Margot fucking clear out the surrounding area in case you did this. That's how much I was expecting it. I shouldn't have to be worried to tell my dad that after 4 years of feeling shit being depressed and suicidal and working myself to death, I finally found someone who gives me a reason to push myself harder, someone who encourages me to do better. Someone who makes me feel there's a point to living besides working. I thought maybe you of all people would fucking get it dad." I was stood up and practically at the door, leaving. Fuck this. I'd told him. He could go screw now. 

"Don't you dare leave." 

"Or what? You'll sack me? Try it. I dare you. You and I know too damn well my songs keep this place afloat. And without me this goes under when I go elsewhere without the complications. So do it dad. Because if you want I can just get my shit and leave and save you the trouble." 

He shook his head at me, a slight smile at his lips. 

"What's so funny?" I crossed my arms and he started laughing loudly. A really intense laugh. Eye watering. He was crying and laughing, clinging to the desk to stop him falling over. "Hello?!" 

"Oh my god." He stood up and started taking heavy breathes as he shook his head and walked over to me, wrapping me in a tight hug. "You really are ready." 

"For what?" 

"To take over." 

"Dad-" 

"No. Just then you showed me how much you actually know about this place. You're right. Every word of what you said is right. I was being out of order. It's not that deep. He didn't know who you were before hand so no one can say he's dating you for the boost anyway. It's not a big deal. What is a big deal is how he's brought out my Erica with the passion and the attitude that suits this job so well. The Erica that gets someone fired for thinking about her in a dress." 

"He was a prick." 

"Yeah he was and you weren't taking it anymore. You took it when you felt you had to. When you didn't feel like you were worthy of more. Now I can see it in you. You know you are. And you're done with it. And that my darling girl, is what I've been waiting for." He looked at the clock. "How is it already 4pm?" 

"I don't know." I looked at the coffee in my hand.  "More worryingly, why is my coffee still warm if it's been an hour and half." We laughed and he pulled the door open, watching as people filtered into the staff room beside us. Levi smiled as he did and my dad put his arm around me, hugging tight.