Forty eight

"I know I've always had a fear for heights
But if you told me to, I think I'd dive on all
We're going eighty on a 45
Not even nervous, I could close my eyes." I stepped away from the mic as he sung, letting him have all the attention, though I know my dad's eyes were on me. 

I'd been stood here, duetting someone exactly like this what felt like yesterday but it was over 5 years ago now. He knew I had avoided singing all together because it went so wrong last time. And he knew that this would be a punch in the face to Jason. I knew it too.

"But it's weird
Since I met you
I'm not afraid to crash
My only fear is if I tell you
That you won't say it back.

Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will fucking kill me
And I could fall a thousand feet and I know that I'd still be."  Levi was watching me as he sung, knowing that I had to be nervous. I moved to the mic, finally letting my voice join his quietly.

"More afraid of the things you say
Tell me that you're mine or else I'll pass away'
Cause sticks and stones will break my bones
But words will fucking kill me." My turn. There's no one else on this stage to steal it Ez. Go for it. 

"Sometimes we plan on being in a parachute
Falling is flying when I'm next to you, I know
But if you said that you don't want me back
I think I'd have a hundred heart attacks

Yeah, it's weird
Since I met you
Danger feels like fun
My only fear is if I tell you
You say you're not the one

Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will fucking kill me
And I could fall a thousand feet and I know that I'd still be-" Oh my god. I did it. I took my eyes from Levi, to my dad who's arms were crossed as he smiled, my mum's head laid on his shoulder. They then drifted to Jason who's arms were also crossed but he looked defeated, like he knew I'd finally broken free of his grasp completely. 

I couldn't tell you what happened next but I brought my eyes back to Levi and I was over thrown with the strength he fueled me with. None of my past mattered. Stood here with him, it all made sense. I had to go through hell to get to this feeling of ecstasy. It was this feeling in my gut that taught me it was all worth it.

Every bruise, every sour word, every time I watched him kiss her in the hallways. It was worth it, standing here with Lee like we ruled the world. He knew I felt the pride in myself I could see it in his smile. 

A slow section of song was coming up so I walked over to him, laying my head against him quickly as he continued to sing.

"Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will fucking kill me."

 Quickly lifting up my head to continue singing myself, but not wanting to leave his side so just joining him with his mic. He only got a line to himself here. But it was enough for me to breathe him in. 

"And I could fall a thousand feet and I know that I'd still be-" My voice was weak and quiet, causing him to put his hand on my back rather than the guitar.  I stood up and moved beside him again carrying on as the music came back in heavy and loud. 

"More afraid of the things you say
Tell me that you're mine or else I'll pass away
'Cause sticks and stones will break my bones
But words will fucking kill me."

Our eye contact didn't break as we sung the filler lyrics and finished the song. The crowd erupted into applause. A standing ovation. But I was fixed on him. He stepped forward and put his arm around my waist. He had forgotten about the crowd as much as I had as he pulled me into him, kissing me hard. 

It was only quick before Brooke tapped my arm and I turned to face the crowd on the stage. Oh Right! Durh. I laughed slightly stepping back and taking the guitar off and handing it to the stage hand before taking the mic from my stand and walking over to where Mia and everyone I worked with was stood on the stage. 

I dropped Levi's hand, leaving him beside his band and turned to face the audience. 

"So there's one more thing, we all have for you." I looked down at my dad who tilted his head. "But you need to come up here." He did as he was told, standing up and walking to the stairs a couple of seats down, my mum and Sof with him. I picked Sof up, putting her on my hip and stepping back into the semi circle around my dad. 

"What's happening." Sof whispered in my ear. 

"We're all going to sing happy birthday to dad. Do you want to start it? Count everyone in?" She nodded enthusiastically. "Go on then." 

"1, 2, 3." Sof shouted. She'd never need a mic. 

All 100 of us broke into a round of happy birthday as we stood watching dad. He was becoming overwhelmed with emotion. We'd made his 50th birthday one to remember and the night wasn't even over yet, we still had the after party. Though that was just about getting as drunk as possible. 

I took the moment to look around at my family. How happy and united we all looked right now, none of us passing off how broken we were underneath after the past 2 weeks and everything that had done to us. No one could tell we'd spent it crying in unison. Not with the smiles we all had on. 

I'd promised Mia, as soon as this was over, revenge on those boys was next on my list. The lawsuit was filed and was getting dropped on them first thing tomorrow morning. For everything. I knew that families deepest secrets and had kept my mouth shut. Never telling anyone. Not now, they were on their way to the papers with all the evidence to back it up. 

They were about to be destroyed. Like he tried to destroyed me. I was going to break them. 

Right after tonight.