CHAPTER 02: RYAN

“I look forward to our partnership, Mr. Hartford.” Austin Ross, CEO of Ross’ designs spoke over the phone closing our deal. We closed our deal last week but the bastard threw dirt in his mind saying I was a fraud and would rob him.

Please, I was richer than Austin, I was doing him favor by partnering with him. He needed me. I didn’t need him.

“I’m glad we’re on good terms now, Mr Ross.” My professional, cool, calm voice answered from the other side of the phone. I wasn’t tensed or nervous when I closed business deals. I know what my company can give. And it gives a lot. I have a perfect reputation for myself and for my business—well, some might say I don’t have the exact ‘perfect’ reputation when socializing with people. The reason is clear: I don’t socialize. I barely attend business events and when I do, its big on the news.

After closing my deal with Austin again. He hung up and I placed down my phone on my office table.

I shifted in my chair and was about to start typing when my phone vibrated. I wasn’t supposed to get any business calls after Austin’s and I wasn’t answering any. I frowned at phone when it continued vibrating till I saw the name of the ID ‘Finn’ my best friend—my only friend and my sister’s husband. My frown disappeared as I answered the call and placed the phone by my ear.

“I’m busy. Its business hours. Unless it’s not important, hang up.” I said coldly, without letting him a chance to greet.

“Hello to you too. I’m doing great, thank you for asking.” I roll my eyes at the sarcasm in his voice “you don’t have time for your best friend? How rude.”

“What do you want? Ask Bree, she’ll help.”

He hummed before responding “you’re not the only one who works. I also earn money, that’s how I take care of the house and my family.”

“Oh and here I thought Bree’s the one who worked day and night while you played with Sarah” I could feel his eye roll over the phone. I enjoy irritating him. “Why did you call?”

“Your anniversary is coming up.”

Anniversary.

The word echoes in my ear. I know my and Rose’s one year anniversary is coming up and I know Bree is expecting me to do something special—romantic to be exact. I know she made Finn call me to remind me. Little does she knew, I didn’t forget, the date was stuck in my head.

5th-december.

This was the day, Rose became my wife and my responsibility.

My wedding was unexpected. Why? Because I told everyone I would never marry anyone because marrying someone meant loving someone, sacrificing things for them, being distracted. And I wouldn’t do anything. Love is distracting. It causes death. You’re in love with someone and they leave you, you get depressed and life means nothing to you. What even is that bullshit? Why can’t you just move on? Instead of ending your life.

Love means trusting someone. And I’d rather kill myself then trust someone. There are few people I trusted. Finn, Bree and—well, Rose. Trusting Rose doesn’t mean I am in love with her. I trusted her because she has helped my sister go through shit.

She was there for her when Bree went through her first break up—fucker cheated on her. Bree was heartbroken and Rose thought it was a good idea to go to the fucker’s house and shatter his car windows but they got caught and he called the police. I remember that night perfectly, I was at a business event when Bree called me quoting ‘we might’ve gotten in trouble’.

I was shocked to know it was Rose’s idea. Rose was a rule follower, she tried her best not to get in trouble and even a little mistake would make her regret it all her life. But when it came to someone she trusted dearly, she didn’t give two fucks about rules or laws.