CHAPTER 30: ROSE

Face timing Bree and talking while I get ready put both of us in a good mood. The ache in my chest from earlier slowly disappeared as I looked at myself in the mirror.

Bree chose an off the shoulder floral dress for me to wear with sneakers. She also suggested I braid my hair and stick out few baby strands.

My dress goes down and stops just beneath my knees, the length of the sleeves from my shoulder is to my wrist.

I paired the dress with silver jewelry.

I stared at the reflection in the mirror. For some reason, I could see my mom. I miss her. It used to be so fun, we used to help each other dress up, she'd watch me twirl in my dress. She would choose the best dress for me and pair the best jewelry.

She knew exactly what I loved.

"Wow." A deep voice brought me out of my thoughts, I turned on my heels and found Ryan. His gaze roaming over my body. He hasn't even stepped in the room properly, his hand is still on the door knob and one foot is inside.

The way his eyes are roaming my body makes me feel weak.

His eyes finally lock with mine.

"You look beautiful." He says softly.

I feel my cheek burn as I grin, the corner of his lip lift up in a small smile as he enters the room and shuts the door. He places a bag- which I didn't notice- on the bed and walked towards me.

His arms wrapped around my waist as he dipped his head down and placed a soft kiss against my lips.

When our lips parted and our eyes met again, he gave me a warm smile.

"I like your braids." He said.

"Your sister suggested I do them." I replied

He frowned "you talked to Bree?"

I nodded "just got off the phone with her few minutes ago... Why?"

He stared at my face with a blank expression then his gaze softened and he shook his head "no reason."

I opened my mouth to ask what he was thinking but stopped myself. My eyes landed on the bag he placed on the bed "what's that?"

His head turned towards the bag "oh, that's for you."

We locked eyes again.

"Me?"

He nodded then stepped back, he walked towards the bed and picked up the bag holding it out for me to grab it "your anniversary gift."

I blinked at the bag twice before reaching for it. I held it and it felt heavy.

Ryan sat on the bed crossed legged as I opened the bag.

Books.

3 to be exact.

He bought me books?

I placed the bag on the bed and took out the books inside, I flipped them so I could see the front cover-

A gasp escaped my mouth.

He bought the books you wanted.

He bought the books I wanted.

But how? I don't remember talking to him about the books I want. Did I leave my list somewhere where he could see? No.

"Are these the books you wanted?" Ryan's voice brought my gaze up to his eyes "I thought a lot about what to give you. Speaking from experience, you never accepted any of the gifts I gave before and they were all jewels so I decided to contact the only person I could seek to help me out."

"Bree?" I whispered

He smiled "yeah."

I looked down at the books again. He bought 2 new releases from my favorite romance writer. And the first edition of my childhood book 'Charlie and The Chocolate Factory'

It was the first book dad brought me when I told him I wanted to read. I fell in love with the characters and the story line. After seeing how much I loved that book, dad always brought me books.

I looked at Ryan again, my eyes stinging from unshed tears.

"Sweetheart- what's wrong? Why are you crying?" Ryan asked with a worried expression fixed on his face.

I shook my head and quickly wiped my tears before they rolled down my cheek.

Ryan gently grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards him, his hand resting on my hip "Rose, tell me what I did wrong- are these not the books you wanted?- don't cry." His voice lowered down as panic increased in him.

I chuckled through my tears and locked gaze with him. His eyes continued to scan my face. I placed my hands on his face and gave him the warmest smile I could.

"The books are perfect." I said

"Then why are you crying?"

I chuckled "because I'm happy." I sniffled  "I'm sorry, I cry when something makes me too happy."

Ryan closed his eyes and released a sigh of relief, his body relaxed.

"Thank Goodness." He whispered, I chuckled.

He opened his eyes again and we locked our gazes.

After a moment, I leaned down and placed a soft kiss on his lips.

"Thank you." I whispered

He smiled "anything for you." He gave me a soft kiss in return before saying "let's go. I have a date planned for us."