9. Bad idea

It couldn't be. He was my friend. I couldn't be falling for a friend.

I was so stupid. Of course I was falling for him. If I wasn't, how would I explain the fact that I smile every time I see him.

I was totally screwed.

Okay,Ava, it's gonna be fine. It's just a little crush. No one has to know.

" Are you still here, Butterfly ? " Hunter asked.
" I'm sorry what ? " I panicked. " You zoned out for a minute. " I looked at him and didn't say anything.

We looked at each other for a moment. God why couldn't he look away.

" Ava, you won't believe me ! " I heard Maria scream.

Hunter and I both looked at her. " Sorry, did I interrupt something ? Were you guys gonna kiss ? " She asked.

" No ! " I suddenly moved away from him.
" We were emh talking. " I said. " Talking while looking at each other with so much tention between you, yeah I totally believe you. "

" I was gonna leave anyway. " He said. " See you at school, Ava. " I smiled at him and looked back at Maria who waited for him to get out of the house.

She then looked at me with a big smile. " So... Now that he's gone you can tell me the truth . " She said. " I told you the truth, we were talking. "

She looked at me and let out a little scream.
" Ha ! Liar ! Tell me the truth. "

" Okay, fine. We were just talking. But I think that there is something. " I said. " Something like what ? "

" Like me liking Hunter as more than just a friend. " I confessed.

" Haaaaa ! My little baby has a crush ! " She screamed.

I immediately regretted telling her about it.

" Okay, what were you gonna tell me ? " I asked trying to change the subject.

" Oh ! I don't remember. " I rolled my eyes at her answer. " Sorry, I have to go. " She added before walking to the door.

***

I was watching television when my mom got home from work. She sat next to me exhausted and I thought a little before asking : " Did you know he has a new
family ? "

" Who are we talking about ? " She asked.

I didn't answer her question. " He came to my baseball game earlier. With his daughter."

She looked at me. I could see by the way she looked at me that she knew who I was talking about.

" She looked happy. " I added.

I looked at my hands as she pulled me closer to her. " I'm sorry you had to see that. "

" It's okay. At least, now I don't have to hope for him to come back anymore. "

I always thought he would come back for me. I thought he would knock at the door and say : " I'm sorry I left but I'm here now and I won't leave you anymore. "

What a stupid kid I was. But I grew up to understand that people don't change who they are.

***

It was Monday. The sun was shining bright and it felt good. I was on my way to school with Maria and she couldn't stop talking.