Chapter 4

It had been a few days since Callum and Claudia's argument. They haven't spoken to each other since. Which was reasonable. But you could tell that Claudia was still mad. The gang has been travelling for a few days now. But unfortunately, Rayla was still sick. She wasn't getting better at all. In fact, her temperature rose and she's very ill. This sent Callum to spiral into a panic.

But he was thankful that they all moved faster out of worry for their sick friend. Thanks to them, Katolis was only a few hours away. It was daytime as well meaning they could still travel. Rayla was being carried by Callum on his back. Although that did slow them down a little, they made an effort to move quickly.

"Ezran, how much further?" The mage asked. "Just a little more. I can already see the border." He announced from the air. Ezran had taken charge of leading the group since Callum was occupied. It was practical too. He rode on Zym so it was easier to navigate. A tired groan caught Callum's attention.

"Callum... where are we?" She looked around groggily. "We're almost there. Just hang on." And with that, she fell back into slumber.
_________

They reached Katolis after an hour. They passed through the border and was met by a crowd of people ready to celebrate their return. But that was the last thing on Callum's mind. He needed to get Rayla a doctor. Quick. He ran towards the castle, surprising everyone.

"King Ezran, is everything alright?" Opeli stepped out from the crowd. "Everything is fine Opeli. Rayla is just sick." "I will call for a doctor then." She bowed and walked away.
______

The mage had set the elf down on the bed of his room. He gently took off her boots and blades. Though at some point her bun came loose leaving her hair down.

He covered her with the red blanket. He stared at her sick red face.

Her mouth was parted and her cheeks were flushed red.

He sighed heavily before walking outside the room and shutting the door behind him.

He walked the quiet and empty halls with his head hung low and his body slouched.

He was exhausted. But worried at the same time. Rayla wasn't getting any better and it's been almost a week.

He went to his office which was all the way up the tower. He entered and crashed on red and gold velvet armchair.

He groaned and closed his eyes. He needed to sleep and rest.

They have been travelling for months. It wasn't easy sleeping on the hard ground. That did a number on his back for sure.

He relaxed into the chair and sighed comfortably once he was no longer feeling any pain.

He inhaled and exhaled deeply, letting the quiet and soft breeze put him to sleep.

But the thing is, when he finished his adventure, he was subconsciously trained to stay alert at anytime, and anywhere.

So when a bird chirped, his eyes snapped open and he shot up out of his seat and into a stance, ready to fight. But once he saw the innocent bird, standing on the branch of a tree, his face softened and he sighed in relief.

He plopped back down on the chair and closed his eyes, hoping to fall back asleep.

He toss and turned before giving up. He decided to draw instead.

So there he was, sitting on the velvet chair in front of an open window doodling.

He wasn't exactly sure what it was he was doing. He just went with flow.

Just then, a knock sounded before the person entered.

It was Opeli.

"High mage Callum, the doctor king Ezran had requested for is here." She spoke elegantly.

Callum nodded. "Thank you Opeli." He said before walking off and heading down the tower.

He made his way to his room and opened the big doors, entering the place he calls his private area.

He saw the doctor Opeli told him about. He had a beard, monocle, and the traditional white coat.

He held a bag in his hand and towered over the sleeping elf, his free hand placed at the bottom of his chin, making it look like he was thinking.

The doctor notice Callum's presence and greeted him with a bow.

"Do you mind waking her up for me please?" He kindly requested. Callum walked over to his bed and gently shook Rayla.

Her eyes opened and she groaned. She met eyes with the mage and he gestured for her to sit.

She did so and looked around the room, stuck in a trance. "Good morning ms.." 

The doctor said and felt her forehead with the back of his hand.

His brows furrowed.

For the next 30 minutes, the doctor spent the time doing tests and checks on Rayla. Which annoyed Callum.

After the inspection, the doctor had his eyes widened. And this worried Callum.

"I haven't seen a fever this bad in years..." He mumbled. He turned to Callum.

"How long has she been like this?" Callum was hesitant. He had a feeling that if he tells him, he might get bad news. But at the same time, he wants to know how to help her.

He decided on answering with the latter on his mind.

"About a week..."

The doctor sighed heavily. 

"She has a high fever. She must've caught a cold. Either that or she got exposed to some virus."

"There's a new one actually. Her symptoms match our findings. Tell me, did she travel recently?"

The doctor asked, crossing his arms.

"Yes actually. Both of us plus some other friends went on a journey to look for someone. It lasted quite a few months."

"Then she must've caught the virus while you were on that trip."

"She's ok. But you have to provide her plenty of water, fresh air, healthy food, and a good environment. Make sure to check on her every hour or so. If she dosen't get better, bring her to my clinic."

He took his bag from the table and left.

Looks like I have to take care of you...
_________

A/N: This chapter is short. I know. But I don't have any idea how to continue this. I'll try my best to post frequently but I have a lot of projects to do plus exams are coming soon so please understand. See ya!✌