Chapter 22

Rayla laid on the ground around some trees deep in the forest. She had her arms under her head and her leg propped up.

She looked up into the sky as her tired eyes lazily roamed around the clouds.

It has been days since she started to feel down. She is so stressed that she can't even sleep at night.

She trained all night until the sun rose in an attempt to lighten her spirits. But all it did was make her more tired.

God was she dying to leave...
<><><><><><>

Callum was deep in the forests of Xadia. It was about 30 minutes from Silvergrove.

He stood at a fighting stance, arms up and ready to punch. He was currently fighting Ethari.

The man may not be as strong as all the other assassins but boy can he sure hit when he's mad.

Why is he mad exactly? That was a question Callum didn't know. Ethari seemed a bit off throughout the day and he looked quite irritated.

But it seemed like a touchy subject so Callum didn't bring it up for his sake.

With his face bruised and legs weak, Callum made a move to throw a punch. Ethari dodged it almost effortlessly and kicked Callum in the side before he had a chance to back away.

"Keep your form. Don't get distracted. Keep an eye out for any surprise attacks." Ethari advised as he moved from his spot to avoid the hit Callum was going to throw at him.

"How are you still not improving. You traveled with Rayla. You are a mage. I taught you more than you are showing." Ethari glared at him.

"Well it's not exactly easy to fight when you have other things on your mind." Callum replied through his gritted teeth.

Ethari was starting to piss him off.

"I told you. You should not be distracted in a battle. That will lessen your chances of winning." The man blocked another punch with his arm, seeming to put no effort or passion into fighting Callum at all.

Callum made a move to punch his face but it was blocked. Ethari grabbed his forearm and pulled him closer. He spun himself around with Callum struggling in his grip.

With one final turn, Ethari let go of Callum and the mage was sent flying backwards into a boulder that took everything out of him.
<><><><><><>

Rayla had her eyes closed as she laid on the ground. She was slowly starting to fall asleep.

Just as she was about to black out, she heard a loud crash. Sitting up, Rayla looked around her surroundings to check if someone is there.

Fortunately, no one was around. But a rumbling made her run towards the direction of the sound.

As she got closer, she saw two figures. One was tall and on his feet. The other one was against a boulder.

Hiding behind the bushes, she listened in on their conversation.

"You have made no improvement. It seems like you're not trying at all. I'm disappointed." A familiar voice spoke.

"I didn't ask you to train me. But you're right. You should be disappointed. I went against you. I disobeyed your orders."

Rayla was syre she knew these people by their voices. They seemed too familiar.

Peeking from the bush she squinted to try and get a better look. But that only made things blurry.

"You did disobey me. But don't think I failed to notice how hard you have been trying. Just practice more and you'll get better." The first man advised.

Callum smiled at him but it was unnoticed by Rayla.

"Thanks. For everything I mean. You let me stay here and even offered to train me. I've never had someone to help me. And I now consider you as someone I look up to. A mentor I might even say."

Rayla was getting bored. This conversation is not any of her business. But something in her told her to stay.
___________

A/N: getting real close to the finale. Anyways, hope you enjoyed this. That's all. Bye!✌