Chapter 18

"Fulminis!" Callum activated his power and shot it up into the air. The lightning disappeared after a few seconds and he was left panting.

After the talk he had with Ethari, he started training with the man. So far, he has only improved by 2%.

Callum panted heavily, sweat dripping down his forehead.

"Callum, concentrate your power onto your hand." Ethari ordered. Callum nodded and went for another try.

Drawing a rune, he called out the words.

"FULMINIS!" Callum called out quite loudly. A huge surge of lightning appeared from his hand and shot out high into the sky.

Ethari smiled in satisfaction.

"Good job. Now take your rest. I need to go back home." Callum nodded. Ethari walked away.

Falling onto the ground backwards, Callum breathed heavily.

Sweat was all over his body. He needed to clean up. Standing up, he took off his clothes except for his underwear and dived into the river.
<><><><><><>

Rayla was doing sit ups in the room Ethari provided her. As far as she knows, it's already sundown.

And the more the sun sets, the dimmer the light that comes through the window.

Ethari has been gone all day meaning she was left to keep herself entertained as Stella was sleeping on the bed.

Rayla was starting to get worried. Ethari told her he would be gone for a few hours but she didn't think the few hours would last this long.

Doing one final sit up, Rayla pushed herself off the floor and sat on the bed, petting Stella.

Due to the movement and the touch, the cuddle monkey woke up.

Rayla looked at her pet.

"What do you think Stella? Should I go look for him or should I stay here like he told me to?"

Stella chirped, voicing her opinion.

Rayla chuckled.

"You're right. I'm being silly. Ethari has his own business. He's probably working right now or doing whatever thing he does."

Stella nodded approvingly.
<><><><><><>

Ethari had just gotten back from training with Callum. He was impressed at how quick he learned.

He was also impressed at the amount of power he has. When used correctly, it could be a great weapon.

As he entered his home, he remembered Rayla.

Immediately realizing that he left her alone for the whole day, he rushed to her room and barged in, startling Rayla who was surprisingly still there.

"Oh hey Ethari." Rayla greeted. "Hello to you too. I'm surprised you didn't leave. Did you?" He cocked up a brow.

Rayla averted her eyes to the floor.

"No..." She muttered, grumbling at him.

"Good. Dinner will be ready soon." He told her, then left the room.

Rayla was mad that Ethari didn't trust her enough. But then again, she did escape one too many times when she was still young.

Rayla flopped back on the bed and closed her eyes.

All she wanted to do was go out and train in preparation fro her upcoming leave. She needed to get back into shape.

But Ethari's strict instructions prevented her from doing so.

Deciding to ask Ethari about it, she got up and left the room.

She found the man in the kitchen making dinner that smelled delicious.

"Ethari?" Rayla called from behind him. "Yes Rayla?" He replied, his back still turned on her.

"When will you let me go outside?" Ethari froze. If she goes out, she could see Callum and that will risk his chances of taking her back.

"When I say so. Why do you want to go out anyway?"

"I need to train. My skills have become rusty considering that I crawled on the ground for half my travels."

"No. If you want to train, do it next time." "But Ethari-" Rayla was cut off by Ethari's sudden outburst.

"I SAID NO, RAYLA!" He dropped the ladle and slammed his hands on the counter.

Shocked by his voice, Rayla ran into the room and slammed the door shut.

She jumped on the bed and bought her knees up to her face. She hugged her legs tightly as droplets of tears slowly ran down her face.

Shoving her hand underneath the pillow, she took out the coins of her parents and Runaan and held them in her hands.

She cried all night long, refusing to eat dinner when Ethari called her.

She thought about what she should do during that time. She even considered escaping. But she couldn't do that to Ethari.

So she was left with hundreds of thoughts that circle back around.
_____________

A/N: hello! As promised, I updated. Currently in my country, its midnight so its already May 10. I'll try my best to write as often as I could and update as soon as possible. The last few weeks has been really hectic for me. Hope you understand. See ya!✌