Chapter 5

It has been a day since the gang returned. They went back to their duties.

Soren went back to being a guard, Ezran continued his work as king, Claudia and Terry is locked up, and Callum did his best to catch up on work.

They we're so many problems in the town. And he wants to fix them all. But it takes a lot.

So there he was, pacing in his office like he did for the past 5 hours.

He was thinking of a way to solve the town's heat problem. So far, he has only come up with 3 ideas. And sadly, none of them work.

He walked back and forth trying to come up with a solution.

"No.. that won't work either.. definitely not..." He muttered under his breath as he dismissed the ideas.

A knock stopped his train of thoughts.

"Come in!"

"Hey Callum." Said Ezran as he entered. "Oh, hey. What are you doing here?" Ezran shrugged.

"I needed a break. Seems like you could too..." He whispered referring to the mess of the room.

Paper was scattered everywhere, crumpled ones piling up beside his desk. Books were layed out on his wooden table and random items were thrown all around the place.

Callum didn't even notice the mess. Not like he cared in the first place. He had other things to worry about.

"So did you get it?" Ezran asked, referring to the heat problem. Callum shook his head, disappointed.

Ezran sighed. "It's okay Callum. I know this is hard. And I know it's important but can you take break?"

"You seem stressed." "I will. Thanks Ez." "No problem! Now I have to go. Work awaits me." He joked before leaving.

Once the door shut, Callum sighed heavily. He sat on the edge of his table and thought.

Ezran was right. He needed a break. Besides, it's time to check on Rayla anyways.

He went down the tower and walked the quiet hall towards his bedroom that the elf is currently occupying.

He slowly entered and shut the door behind him.

Rayla was there. Sat up and trapped in a trance. "Rayla! Good you're awake!"

She turned her head to him and smiled.

"You got a virus. It will be a few more days before you fully recover." He explained. She nodded, showing that she understands.

"When did we get back to Katolis?" She asked, an eyebrow cocked up.

"Yesterday." He said as he poured water on a cup.

He gave the cup to her and watched as she slowly drinked the liquid.

Rayla's throat was sore. It hurt. And it hurt even more when she tried to down the cup of water.

After minutes, she finally finished the water. After setting down the cup, she swallowed but coughed right after that.

Callum rushed to her side and put his hand on her back and gave gentle taps to try and relieve some of her pain.

When she stopped she took a sharp inhale before clearing her throat, causing an itch. But she pushed down the urge to cough.

"Are you okay?" Callum worriedly asked, to which Rayla nodded.

"Thanks..." She mumbled.
________

It was nighttime, just after dinner. Callum was retreating back to his office to get a good night's rest.