Chapter Soren

Soren Pov

Timeline: after Ezran held the meeting

I walked towards the throne room, coming from the meeting.

Opeli had given us the tasks to complete each day but I had barely even processed the information of Callum leaving.

I had no problem with it. Callum is responsible enough to do what he wants to do.

But I was worried.

I've been out there a few times. I know how dangerous it can be. And Callum went alone for a reason we don't know of.

I know he has his magic to help him. But based on my experience with Viren and Claudia, I know better than to rely on magic.

Callum surely knows that too. But no matter how smart he is, he can be a knucklehead too.

As I approached, two guards blocked the entrance.

"I need to see the king." I glared at them. I've never seen them before. They must be one of the new guys.

"No can do. We were ordered to guard this door. We cannot let anyone in." One of them had the audacity to reply.

"Listen here idiots, I'm the head crown guard. So unless you let me in, I will fire you myself." I threatened, death glaring them.

"Y-yes sir..." The squeaked out, pushing the door open and moving out of the way.

I didn't like using my title to get people to do what I want but those two guys had it coming.

They work in the castle but they don't know who their boss is.

Also I needed to train them myself later. Those two can't keep a straight face when faced with an empty threat.

I walked up to Ezran and gestured the guards inside to leave us be. Once they exited through the door, I started to talk.

"Hello Soren. What do you need?" He looked up at me, smiling.

"Why did you let Callum leave?" I asked, getting straight to the point. He furrowed his brows and frowned.

"What do you mean?"

"It's dangerous out there. You know that. Why did you let him go alone?" He looked at me with an 'are you serious' face.

"Wow Soren. I never expected you to be so uptight about it. I thought you liked adventures?" He grinned jokingly, avoiding my question.

"I'm not joking around Ez. Yes, it's true, I like adventures. But this is different. Callum went out alone."

"He didn't. I sent Bait to join him." The smile on his face disappeared and it turned serious.

"Bait? I don't mean to offend you or him but Bait can't help Callum. He is a glowtoad!" I unintentionally raised my voice.

But I couldn't help it. I was getting frustrated.

"Yes he is. But he has a special bond with Callum. He can help him. I know it."

The way Ezran said it made me feel bad. It's true. Bait and Callum have a bond which I don't understand. But my worrying didn't stop.

"I won't argue with you on that one. But Ezran, it's dangerous out there. You know that. I know that. He knows that."

"Soren, I appreciate you worrying about him. But Callum is not powerless. He's not helpless either. He can handle himself." He defended.

"Yes he can. But he can't just rely on magic. I know that because of what happened with my family. Magic won't always help him."

"That's true. But he will know what to do. He is strong and smart. Have some faith in him. Please." He begged, giving me a small smile.

Callum is not the helpless little boy he once was. He is a mage. One of the most respected ones. He is strong.

I tried to convince myself.

Yes it's true. He's not helpless anymore. But still. I couldn't help but worry.

I sighed, knowing Ezran won this one.

"Fine. Thanks for your time." I mumbled looking to the side as I walked away.

As I was about to open the doors, it was pushed open and Corvus stepped in.

He halted, sensing some uneasiness in the air.

He glanced at me and I gave a thumbs up, telling him everything is okay.

I left the throne room and stared at the four guards standing, waiting for me to give them orders.

"You two, come with me." I pointed to the new guys. "And you guys, if possible, switch duties to fill in their duties."

I walked away, gesturing for the guards to follow me.
<><><><><><>

Timeline: one week after Callum left

It had been a week since he left. I still don't know why he went off since Ezran was insistent on keeping it a secret.

He let me know what Callum wrote when he got his letter to put me at ease.

But I felt a bit down.

Rayla was gone. Callum left. Bait joined him.

My closest friends left... How could I not be sad.

Corvus, Barius, Opeli, and Ezran are still there. That made me feel a bit better. But it would be much better if the whole gang was here...

I sat by a wall, absentmindedly sharpening my sword near the middle of the night.

"Got a minute?" A voice asked me. I looked up, slightly surprised to see Ezran.

"Ez, you should go back in. There are few guards around here." I nudged my chin towards the entrance door.

"So? You're the crown guard aren't you?" He grinned teasingly. I rolled my eyes, chuckling silently.

He sat in the space beside me and we sat there in silence for a good minute before he spoke up.

"You know Soren, it's nice to see you worried so much about your friends. But you should have a little faith in them." He looked at me.

"I do trust them. As you said before. They are responsible enough for their own actions."

"You trust them. But you don't have faith in them." He stated. I arched a brow, not understanding.

"What's the difference?"

"You trust them because you believe they are grown enough and mature enough to handle themselves."

"Yeah, so what?" I replied somewhat coldly.

"But you don't have faith in heir abilities. You only trust them. You don't believe they can do what they can do. That's the difference." He explained.

I froze, thinking about it.

It's true. I believed they can handle themselves because they are responsible enough.

But I didn't believe they can handle themselves because of their abilities.

I chuckled lightly, realizing my mistake.

I leaned my head back on the wall and sighed, looking over to Ezran.

"You're only 12. I'm 20. How is it possible that a guy 8 years younger than me is much more wiser?" I joked,  putting my hand on his head and ruffling it a bit.

"Maybe we switched brains." He shrugged, a smile forming on his face as I laughed with him joining along after a few seconds.
_____________

I know I didn't add the last timeline like I did with Ezran. But this was already long enough. So there you have it. You got to see Soren being a worried overprotective big brother. And you got to see his bond with Ezran. I kinda wanted to put a scene where him and Claudia are talking but this is a long enough chapter. I will just put that in Claudia's part instead. See ya!✌️