Chapter 23

Minutes passed in silence and Rayla was getting bored. If it weren't for their footsteps, she would think they left.

"Hey, Ethari, can I ask you a question?" Rayla wasn't all too surprised hearing his name.

She already ruled him out minutes ago.

"Yes, of course." Ethari answered. Things went silent for a moment before the other man spoke up.

"D-do you think... Rayla will want to come back?" The mention of her name shocked her.

She couldn't here what Ethari said back as she was running around, looking for something closer to them.

She settled for a tree and peeked out of the leaves covering her.

The man had brown hair, slim body, and an average height.

Even from the closer location she still couldn't identify him as his back was turned to her.

Their conversation continued for another few minutes before he finally turned around.

And oh my God.

It was the last person she wanted to see.

Callum...

Acting on impulse, she jumped out from behind the tree, startling the two.

"Rayla! W-what are you doing here?" Callum gulped.

"I should be asking you that!" Rayla stomped over as Callum backed away.

"W-wait! L-let me explain..."

Rayla stopped in her tracks and crossed her arms, still holding her glare.

"I- umm I had.. something to do here in uh Silvergrove..." He lied.

He could have told her the truth. But he couldn't. His pride was too big to admit that he still loved her.

He knew Rayla would never believe a lie as stupid as that. But it was worth a try.

Scoffing, Rayla uncrossed her arms.

"You think I'm stupid?!" "N-no!" Callum countered.

"Then tell me the truth." Her voice lowered. It was demanding and threatening at the same time. That was enough to get old Callum to talk.

But he wasn't that goofy 14 year old anymore...

Noticing the silence, Rayla spoke up, disappointed that Callum lied to her.

"If you're not gonna tell me, fine. But I want you out of here by morning." She turned around and walked off.

Callum hung his head in shame. Noticing that she was walking away, Callum froced himself to say something.

"I-I'm sorry." He managed to choke out. He hoped it was loud enough for her to hear.

The elf stopped but didn't turn.

"Sorry is not gonna make things better Callum..."

And with that, she disappeared into the bushes, leaving Callum.

Rayla felt betrayed.

How could Ethari hide him from her?

Why can't Callum tell her the truth?

All she wanted was to find a place where she felt at home.

She went home and reunited with Ethari. So why didn't she feel at peace?

Why did she feel hurt and sorry?

Rayla was feeling all kinds of emotions all at once.

She needed to get them sorted out...
______________

A/N: Hey! So I was finally able to publish this chapter. It was kinda rushed but I think I did okay with the plot. I might not be able to update next week cuz me and my family are going on a trip. Why am I always busy? Anyways, my vacation is in 2 weeks so I can update more frequently then. See ya!✌