Thirty One

---

Aviana

"You're so beautiful."

That was it. Those words.

He called me beautiful.

"I have something to tell you."

I already knew what was about to come. I already knew what was going through his mind before his lips parted to speak. Worst of all, I already knew what would happen after today.

"Aviana," he lifted his knee making me bounce up straight, my face went red at the sensation but I tried to keep a straight face.

Just say the words Ki, you're a gang member, hurry up and say it. Please.

"I'm in love with you."

My chest rose and paused after he spoke, it felt like a scrabble game in my head as I recollected the words despite them being said correctly. It was silent for a second, I could feel the air becoming thick. I wanted to choke.

I should be happy. Why am I not happy?

"For the love of God Av, please say something."

His gaze had softened as if he was pleading. Pleading for me to accept his declaration, but I was at a loss for words.

"Kiro, are you in a gang?"

The words just spilled, forget spilled, ran straight out of my mouth. He looked at me confused before his forehead tensed, the aura had shifted and I could feel it in every particle of my body.

"Where did this come from?"

His voice was low, almost like before at the hospital when he had rushed in and picked up a fight with the doctor. I was on his lap yet suddenly in my position, I started to feel vulnerable.

"Answer my question first," I swallowed the fear, my words were sharp and took him by surprise as he looked at me regretfully.

"Yes, I am."

That was all he said, all I needed to hear. No explanation was given after he announced it, I waited in his lap like a silly little girl, expecting a follow-up reasoning.

He stayed silent, even when I got up and left the car and walked home myself, he didn't follow me.

He didn't call me back the next day or bother to apologise for just letting me go.

I had stayed in bed for two days since I'd last spoken to him, everything felt numb including my body since I hadn't moved in the last six hours.

My mom would occasionally come to my room before and after work to give me plates of food and open my curtains, she didn't question anything which I was grateful for.

I lay against my pillow, the same pillow covered in makeup stains from that day.

I spent the first night crying so hard that my face was a puffed balloon the next, and for that reason, I avoided getting up or even looking in the mirror. Why would I want to see the reflection of a girl who was so dumb for thinking someone like him would change his ways just for me?