Chapter 16

Zac had decided he did not want to take any action against his mother or her boyfriend and that he would allow the law to deal with it instead. He didn't want to waste any more time or energy thinking about the mother that clearly hated him. Ms Annette and her boyfriend were both arrested for filing false charges. When she was arrested Ms Annette had pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity so they had assigned her a psychiatrist to assess her mental state. The psychiatrist discovered that she suffered from undiagnosed bipolar disorder.

When Zac found out about her diagnosis he was conflicted. On one hand, it explained why she was always angry and why he could never really pinpoint what he was doing wrong throughout his childhood. On the other hand, he felt guilty that he had hated her for what she did to him but now that he knew she was unwell he knew he couldn't blame her completely.

After the first night, he had been released and they found out about his mother Fatima noticed that Zac was being distant when he was with her. He wasn't as affectionate, and when they weren't together, he wasn't calling or texting her like he usually did. When she called or texted him, he gave very brief or one word answers. She confronted him about it that one night, and that had turned into a fight, and ever since their fight, he had been working late coming home when he knew she was asleep and either leaving before her or just sleeping through until she went to work

Tonight was a Friday and Fatima had had enough of his antics, so she waited up for him so that they could have a conversation and like clockwork, just after midnight she heard him come home.

"Oh you're awake, thought you'd be asleep by now," he said when he saw her in their bed

"You were hoping for that weren't you?"

"I look, Fatima, I just, it's been a long day and I don't want to fight or have this conversation, okay there's nothing wrong, I'm good we're good, just let it go,"

"Do you want to hurt me, Zac?"

"What? No baby I don't wanna hurt you,"

"What you're doing is hurting me. This combative shit, shutting me out it's hurting me. I get that you're going through a lot but I've told you many times that I am here for you and I will continue to be here for you as long as you let me, but this shit it fucking hurts,"

"Shit you're right I'm sorry Ti, it's just a lot going on in my head and I don't want to dump it all on you. It's not fair to you for you to constantly be on the receiving end of whatever bullshit I've got going on,"

"Babe, nobody is perfect and if you're going through something I'm going through it too. We are literally about to be married and that means you never have to handle anything on your own. We are partners for life, I got you but only if you let me,"

"I hear you, and I am sorry. I love you," he says hugging her

All you had to do is say that I'm sorry

(Baby I'm sorry)

And I'm in love with you

Baby I want this (Baby, I want it)

Say baby, I'll do what it takes